SHOW YOUR EMOTIONS... IT IS GOOD














Some, who have not seen my emotionally vulnerable side – my intense outbursts of anger, frustration, sadness, insecurity and arrogance – assume that I am a very cool and composed individual - a mature soul…  Like one of our ‘Babas’ around!

And, therefore, on an inauspicious day, if these people get to witness my volatile avatar, their reaction could be one of these two: “Hey, what a let down!” Or, “Hey, he is just like us!”

I am just like you; and, you are just like me… What a wonderful thought that is!

That, the veins in my body carry the same red-blood… and they throb with the same precious life…

The fear in my mind and the love in my heart can be as crippling and as comforting as they can be for you…

I love tenderness of heart, just as you do…

I fold my hands before my elders, just as you do before yours…

I kneel before my God, just as you do before yours…

A good story gives me goose-pimples, just as it does to you…

When I cry, my tears are honest… and, when I hurt, my motives are just as yours…

“Hide your emotions,” I am advised… But, I can’t take this advice easily…

For, whenever I show my emotions, it brings peace in my heart… and, what is more: others, too, find good about it…

Being vulnerable is being strong… That’s what I have experienced… It is good!

I am a 54-year-old robust man. So, why should I cry when I hear a Bombay Jayshree lullaby from ‘Life Of Pi’… Or experience a lump in my throat when I watch Munnabhai giving a jaadoo-ki-jhappi to the sweeper in his Medical College?

Almost everyone in our village was poor and simple like we were. Lifebuoy soap lasted for many days… and, that was despite the fact that a dozen people in the house – great-grandpa to great-grand-son, men and women all – used the same soap. It was strong, lasted long…

Who knew about hygiene? Yes, till, we were sold on the idea: Use a separate soap: one for your body, one for your hair. Then, they said, shampoo your hair and use lotion for your body… Then, they said…

And, I did…

Like a fool!

And, today, when I watched this three-minute film by Lifebuoy (amazingly

conceptualized  and created by Lowe Lintas) about social-awareness, like you did, I did too: I cried!

Now, why?

I don’t know about you… But, I remembered the strong and durable Lifebuoy we used at home… as if that was the greatest blessing from God!

And, today, when I choked with emotions, I thought of many young-ones of today… They, certainly, have no idea as to what a strong and durable Lifebuoy is. But, I am sure, when they watch this film, their hearts, too, would stop for a brief moment, as mine did… 




That’s good…


Emotions are good…


Only emotions can infuse life in your soul…


“Show them,” I say… 


Life is good… 

 


You and I are lucky…  We have survived much beyond the age five!

Watch the movie… feel it… cry…

Be sensitive… be good.



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Manoj Nair
Video: YouTube



Comments

Neeraj Bhandari said…
Very moving film and a wonderful post. thanks a lot sir. Neeraj
Anonymous said…
How lucky we are! Nice write-up. Thanks a lot dear.

- Punit
Kiran Shah said…
Amazing Post. Mind-blowing film... Kiran
jeevan rajpal said…
beautiful article... keep writing.-- jeevan
Reeta Sharma said…
Emotions have two sides: used well, they enrich us; misused,they add misery. Nicely written. Thank you.

- Reeta

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...