CROSSING THE BRIDGE WHEN WE COME TO IT



















This evening, my wife and I will be watching Kamal Haasan’s latest movie – ‘Vishwaroopam’('Vishwaroop' in Hindi). I have, always, been a great fan of this versatile, extremely-gifted actor and movie-maker. So, when I was watching on TV or reading on  newspapers about the kind of trouble he had to go through over this movie – ‘Vishwaroopam’- that, too, in his own home state (where he is worshiped like a demigod!), my heart bled for him. It is, reportedly, his most ambitious film… and he has put his every penny on line to create it. And, there it goes – literally in smoke! It is sad… It is a terrible situation to be in!

But, it is there before Kamal Haasan… and, he has to face it, deal with it.

A thought has been crossing my mind for last few days as I was watching the sad spectacle: “Did Kamal Haasan foresee any of these before or during the making of his Magnum Opus? Would he have ventured into it, had he foreseen it?”

Obviously, not. Neither must he have seen such things in his wildest nightmares… nor, would he have burnt his 'all' in it.

So, Kamal Haasan – like rest of us in this world – did what his heart and mind wanted him to do… Go where they wanted him to… Like us, he would never have invited trouble for himself, had he possessed even a faint hint about it. No sane person would do such things…

But, when troubles come, they come!

And, such is life!

So, what will you do? You have come to the bridge – will you cross it or will you dare not?

Everything that we do - or possess - in life, has a potential danger looming around it… The business that I build with all my blood, sweat and tears, may go in smoke; the house that I build with so much passion, may crumble; the family that I raise with devotion, may fall apart; the bank in which I try to secure my future may go bankrupt; my country may be seized by a military dictator or captured by a giant enemy nation; the earth that we live upon may crack open… the Sun may turn too hot or the oceans too rough… My sublime dreams may turn into my dreadful nightmares… my best friends into my worst foes…

Yes, there is a danger-tag attached to each and every step I take in life… Only, some tags are visible and some are not…




No, we cannot avoid this uncertainty of living…

 even though, given a chance, 

we all would, by all means.



So, march we all… towards a life of our choosing…

And, should troubles come, we will have within us what it takes to face them…

As the old adage goes: “We will know how to cross the bridge, when we come to it!”

It is Kamal Haasan’s turn to do that, now…

I am sure, he will!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Gloria Pinto



  










Comments

Nilesh Kumar said…
Very realistic. well-written. Nilesh
Nirupam Desai said…
Excellent post. Nirupam
Anonymous said…
wonderful post Gerry sir. Thanks. Vinay

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...