WHEN TREES BECOME NAKED













The seasons that Nature brings to me are as per Her wish, not mine. What I have learnt, all along my life, is to accept them as my reality… gladly, with my open arms. Yes, I have found ways to deal with the scorching heat of a summer and with the biting cold of a winter… I have also learnt how to sail through heavy downpours…

I know that summer is not there to stay for ever, neither winter, nor monsoon. Life lessons have taught me to ‘bear’ with the seasons however difficult they maybe… and hope for a better season to come. When leaves drop and trees become naked, I don’t lose faith in the trees and cut them off… I trust in them… wait for the new season to come, the leaves to come… the trees to wear glory, all over again…




Similarly, when the night is starless 

and the moon is 

not seen, I don’t lose faith in the sky… 

I wait for the new nights to come 

and bring me back my stars and the moon, 

all over again… And, they do; yes, they do!

 

Like the seasons and the stars outside, the seasons and stars inside my heart, too, are not there to stay for ever and ever… Happy times fade to make way for gloomy ones… Hope makes way for despair… My smile, time and time again, goes into hiding and it looks all dark along the valleys of my heart… Dear ones seem far, too far… and, friends, suddenly, seem out of reach… I wonder, if there is a tomorrow… If what is in hand is what is in store for me – final… “Should I cut off the naked trees?” I ask, “Should I jump off the board?”

So, the seasons and the stars inside my heart are supposed to be exactly the way the seasons and the stars outside are…

They are supposed to change… and, they are supposed to keep me how I am: ever wonder-struck… ever hopeful, zestful and, yes, grateful.

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Abhishek Iyer

Comments

Manjunath Shenoy said…
Very reassuring as ur posts always are. Keep writing. Manjunath
Anonymous said…
"Hope holds it together!!!" Really a beautiful line. Thanks.
--- Ujwal
Anil Raj said…
There is a poetic beauty in this post... a mystic touch, too. Wonderful work, inspiring - Anil

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...