THE WELL-CLIMBING SKILLS



















A story comes to my mind, today:

One day, a man fell into a well. He was a fussy Grammarian. A stickler, in that! Now, down there, inside the well, this language perfectionist was desperately trying to come out. But, as the sides of the well were too slippery, he was again and again falling back into the well. Thus, he began to cry out loudly for help.

A Fakir happened to pass by the well. When he heard the wailing of a helpless soul from inside the well, he came close to have a look. On seeing the man in dire condition, the Fakir, in the casual language of everyday life, offered to help.

“My friend, I appreciate your help,” the Grammar Pundit announced from the bottom of the well, “but, what I don’t like is your speech – You see, you have just committed an error.” Then, he went about specifying the error in Fakir’s speech.

“An excellent observation, my dear friend,” acknowledged the Fakir, “As you have rightly pointed out, I had better go off quickly from here and improve my language skills, while you did, here, your climbing ones!”
      
         So saying, the Fakir went his way!

There are so many people around me, offering me a hand to come out of my well… I know my condition… I know how badly I need their help. Still, I behave the way this fussy Grammarian did from the bottom of the well… Yes, I do, so often… exactly the same thing! 



Instead of coming to terms with my reality, 

instead of trying to bring myself out of 

the deep hole I am stuck in, 

I try to boast off my wisdom 

even from such stupor…!
 


No wonder, the Fakirs in my life walk away asking me to improve my ‘well-climbing skills’!

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Abhishek Iyer


Comments

Jacob Pinto said…
Amazing story and post. Short and power-packed. Jacob
PUNIT MISHRA said…
I am this grammarian in the pond! Thanks Gerry. Punit
Anonymous said…
Well-climbing skills!!!! Uma

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...