ANXIETY ABOUT OUR FUTURE



 

 

The best way to approach life, with less anxiety about our future, is to know what we are good at and pursue it wholeheartedly. And, as we go about it, be brutally sincere to our commitments and people… Be warm and courteous to them.


I said this to a middle-aged man, this morning, who was a lot worried about his sagging business. He was just 40; but, a lot anxious.


I gave my example. “Look, what is my profession? I am just a teacher. Now, am I not worried about my future? Certainly, I am. But, then, what I go back to, again and again, is the core strength which holds me together – my teaching skill. Things are changing in my field like shades of the sky… fast and unpredictable they are. But, teaching is teaching… I must love it; I must be damn good in it. I must be good to my students and parents… Be brutally sincere to my commitments and work ethics… The more I focus on it, the less anxious I turn…”


Well, I gave the examples of great Amitabh Bachchan, Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar… and, every hero who has survived long and hard. Just to tell the anxious man, “Friend, just focus on what you are good at, love it and sell it well, and sell sincerely… The rest will be taken care of by merciful God.”


Now, to motivate someone with my own example, or with my heroes’ examples, is the only way I know of motivating. How else can I?


The man is anxious…


I too have been, and still experience it…

 


“Will there be enough for me, tomorrow?”… 

“Will I be able to survive?”… 

 


Where will the answers come from? Who am I asking this to?


Yes, I go back to my core strength – teaching – again and again, to seek the answers. The more I focus on it, the less anxious I become…


All that I need to do, all my working-life, is to keep my teaching love alive and kicking… Be faithful to it, to my students and parents… to my commitments and ethics… That’s all. Yes, that’s all to bring down my anxiety about my uncertain future…


And, what applies to me – a teacher, should also apply to my anxious friend – a trader.


Shouldn’t it?


Who has seen the tomorrow’s Sun?


Let’s love, respect and glorify the Sun who shines, here and now!


 


GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Malabika Ganguly

Comments

Umesh Nayak said…
God bless!!!! Umesh
Prajakta Lal said…
Very reassuring and comforting post sir. Thanks.
= Prajakta

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...