CAN I START FROM TOMORROW




















If I do not like a certain living condition in my life, I must deeply desire to get out of it. Then, I should take a quick, firm decision to come out. The moment I dilly-dally about my decision, the more I postpone my decision, it is a foregone conclusion that I would rot there in the same condition…

Wishing to change our situations in life – the rot – would always remain a wish. It takes a strong desire and a determined will to clear the rot…

Any rot, I say.

Rot, here, is just a metaphor…

Any situation, any condition, in my life, which I really, really do not like, which hampers my growth and well-being, is rot… It should go.

But, then, how will it go, unless and until I get up and do something about it, and now?

I remember one more Mulla Nasruddin story.



Once, Mulla was going through a very disturbing situation in his life. Every night, he would be troubled by a weird dream… in which he had wrestling matches with his donkey! This would go on, ceaselessly, for months; yes, every night!

Tired of it, Mulla went to see a local doctor. The doctor, after listening to the strange condition of his patient, gave to Mulla some herbs and advised him to take it every day before he went off to sleep.

“Start it from tonight; and in a week’s time, you will be alright,” the doctor declared as he collected his fee from our Mulla.

“But, doctor,” asked Mulla, “can I start taking it from tomorrow night?”

“Why, why not from tonight?” the bemused doctor wanted to know.

“Because,” the wise-soul Mulla explained to his doctor, “tonight, I am scheduled to play the Championship match… the Finals. It is the most important match, and I can’t afford to skip, you see!”



That’s how it is… Not just for Mulla; but, for you and me… for all of us, you see!

We have one last match to play… The most important one…

And, that is scheduled to be played tonight…



So, we ask our doctor, 

“Can I start from tomorrow night?”


The rot stays!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Neetu Sharma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...