DO I BELIEVE IN LUCK?











Pic.: Chetna Shetty



I have never believed much in luck, and my sense of humor 
has tended to walk on the dark side.


It is interesting to listen to young-ones when they debate on the topic: “Do I Believe in Luck.” Normally, they either speak taking a stand – “Yes, I believe”... or, “I don’t believe.” While debating, the stand helps them speak with force and conviction. And, some of them try to sit on the fence... and, invariably, it doesn't help them to leave an impact on the audience.

However, this morning, Yash began by saying, “Yes, I believe... No, I don’t believe.”

I was about to judge him too early and tell him, “Don’t sit on the fence, dear.”

But, then, I let Yash speak. And, believe me, he really did a good job. He took out leaves from his life in support of why he believed in luck... and why did didn’t. The examples were about their family business... the one started by his grandpa and later handled separately – and with different fortunes – by his dad on the one side and his uncle on the other... How the fortune of his dad changed as time passed, and how, on the other hand, his uncles’ fortune stayed rock solid...

Yash said, that his dad believed in hard-work and extra-ordinary passion, too. Yet, he was met with mixed fortune, unlike his uncle. That was Ysah’s reality, his truth. So, how could he speak without a ‘mixed stand’?

What was important was that the speech had to carry the impact. And, his did...

“Jab peepal ka jaad aur bargad ka jaad ek saath hota hai, tab Luck bhi saath hata hai,” Yash said, in the end, with his own streak of humor. “Friends, there is a peepal tree standing tall along with a banyan tree, just outside my uncle’s shop,” he pointed... So, I believe in both the trees - the tree called commitment, hard-work and passion... and the tree called God’s grace... His kindness.” He concluded, “Yes my dear friends, I worship both these trees... Yes, I believe in luck... No, I don’t believe in luck.”

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Nitin Rao said…
Nice way of telling a simple thing. Keep it up... Nitin Rao

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...