AT THE SEAT OF EVERY MOTHER'S HEART...














Pic.: Chetna Shetty



My mother said to me, 'If you are a soldier, you will become a general.
 If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.'
 Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso.


Well, I was a teacher... and, I became Gerald... aka – Gerry.
What else can I say?
At the seat of every mother’s heart, there is this deep desire to see her child do well in life... to succeed. I don’t remember my mother ever telling me anything like Picasso’s mother did... What I still remember about her is:
-         She never ever gave us – her little-growing-children - the feeling that there wasn't enough at home... Where our next meal would come from... How our school fees would be paid... How the guests would be served and accommodated... When would our drought end...
-         The love and fear of God was put in us by our mother... It is good that she did.
-         No matter how huge our dad’s weaknesses were, she instilled in us the feeling of mighty respect for our dad... “He ‘is’ your dad... and you would love and hold him high, all your lives. We did; we still do...
-         No matter how worn and hungry she was, she would never eat unless the rest of us did. Frankly, we took that for granted... Because, we now know, many nights she might have gone off to sleep, hungry...
-     Dignity of labor was not taught to us in school, but at home. Our mother did the teaching... Even today, I am not ashamed to dirty my hands... and, I never will...
-         “Live simple... you can, always, survive, anywhere in the world.” Yes, I picked it quite early from my mom... Much later, I realized that she knew one of the very important happiness-lessons in life: “If our needs are taken care of, our lives will.”
-         “Life is too short... Please don’t waste it complaining or destroy it holding grudges.” If I am a firm believer in this maxim, today, it is only because mom breathed it all the time!
-         Sharing and charity are a silent  act. The spiritual beauty of this act can only be there when we share out of the ‘small’ share that is placed in our hands... and, when we do it gladly and quietly. This is one of mom’s legacies I am blessed to inherit...
-         “Patience pays... Learn to wait. Honesty is the best policy... Do not mislead. Give credit where it is due... Don’t try to hog the limelight. Goodness comes around... Trust.” I never heard my mom preaching these. I, always, saw her practicing them.

So, today is ‘Mother’s Day’... Frankly, I did not know about it. My mom doesn't know about it, either... Very frankly I can tell you this: Our moms don't need to be reminded about it...
For, my  mom would, always, remind us about the two sets of elephant’s teeth: with one it ate... It was a useful set. With the other, it only went around showing off, “Hey guys, I am a great Elephant.” Except for the ego-kick, that set served no purpose for the elephant... In fact, it only brought the mighty creature doom: The poachers brutally plundered the ivory away... for booty!

A Happy Mother’s Day mom. I know you are smiling... Please do, always!

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Inspiring post Gerry, keep writing.
.. Hitesh Khanna
Dheeraj Nair said…
Written with the passion that marks you. Keep it up. Dheeraj Nair
Leena D'sa said…
Touching and inspiring post!
- -- Leena D'sa

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...