IT'S ABOUT YOUR LIFE... YOUR FREEDOM






















Pic.: Chetna Shetty



“As smoking is to the lungs, so is resentment to the soul;
even one puff is bad for you.” 
This morning, during our PD session, I encouraged our young-ones to share about any deep resentment they held in their minds, about anyone in their lives. A good-looking young-boy, who wanted to pursue acting, spoke about his deep resentment for one of his dad’s acts. He was angry with his dad for sending him to a Marathi-medium school. “When the whole world sent their children to English-medium schools, my dad sent me to a Marathi medium school... And, because of this, today, I cannot speak English.”

Many shared their own stories of resentment...

The interesting point to note about resentment  is, that, we – including me – yes, we all have our respective areas of resentments in our lives... and, we have been holding them in our minds for years on... right from our childhood... And, they remain our trigger points all through... On a sight provocation, we explode. Many a times, we try to shield ourselves tightly against such sensitive spots, so much, that, we remain in our shells, defensive, heavily guarded...

That’s, certainly, not a healthy way to go about our lives...

“In life, none of has can choose our parents,” I told the class, “jus as the country we are born in.”

The young-man, now 20, has a clear choice now – to continue to hold the grudge against his dad, or to get out of that hole, and do something about his English as so many around him have done and are doing still... “Blaming your dad for his past act, for your present miseries, is not going to take you anywhere. It will keep you imprisoned, perpetually poisoned,” I told him. I told the class, through the famous quote, “Holding resentment against someone is like drinking poison and expecting your him – your enemy - to die!”

“It is about your life, not dad’s,” I told the 20-year-old, “it is about your freedom, your self-confidence in life.”

I am sure, the young-man got the point I was trying to make... I hope, others in the class, too...

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...