WHEN YOU WAKE UP TO OTHERS' PROBLEMS...











Pic.: Chetna Shetty
In the ICU waiting-room at Jaslok, a person - who has been waiting there for over ten days, for his critically-ill wife to recover from brain tumor – has placed at least six inspirational or spiritual books. One of them is ‘Daily Teachings’ by Rhonda Byren, the author of the famous DVD film, and the book, ‘The Secret’.

When my eyes fell on this book, for the first time, I couldn't resist. He immediately handed the book to me and said, “This is for sharing.”

I was touched. Ever since that moment, that book has been there in the waiting room in circulation... People just pick it up, read a few short-passages contained in the book (There are 366 short inspirational-passages)... and, they go back and place the book on his seat... I do the same thing... Go, pick it up... read a few of those passages... feel the silence... and, then, go and keep the book back...

This hard-bound book is costing Rs.499/-... And, believe me, nobody dares to rob it away... Nor the gentleman, who most of the time isn’t there around those books, is worried about his books being robbed... Only thing he has done is, that he has placed a hand-made book-mark with the writing: “Please use me as a book-mark instead of folding the pages. I appreciate.”

Rhonda’s sensational DVD and the book are based on the ancient Law of Attraction. So, as you read the passages in this book – ‘Daily Teachings’ – you get to revisit ‘The Secret’... the Law of Attraction, and, particularly, the healing power of the attitude of gratitude...

In at waiting room, there must be at least fifty-odd waiting-relatives. Someone’s father or mother, someone’s brother or sister, someone’s son or daughter, someone’s aunt or uncle... the grand pa or grand ma... even a just-born baby... Yes, inside the ICU some near-and-dear-one is battling to recover... and, the waiting room is somber with anxiety, fear and sadness... And, amidst all of them, there you are, with your own anxiety, fear and sadness...

So, when I was reading the passages in Rhonda’s book, I could feel the silence... The more I shifted my attention from my problem to others’ around me – I have just spoken to maybe ten of them... and, their situations are many times graver than mine – the more silent I have become.

For example, there is this poor Rajastani lady. Her seven-month-old baby is battling with heart disease in the ICU. She has been in this hospital for forty-five days now, of which fifteen days are spent at the ICU itself. Before that, for two months, the baby was treated at the Wadia Hospital. Only this lady, the mother, and sometimes her brother, are doing all the waiting...

What about others? What about the baby’s father, her husband?

The lady told me that ever since their marriage, her husband had been torturing her. When the baby was born with heart problems, he crudely blamed her for it and refused to see both the wife and the baby. It was her brother, who took them to the Wadia Hospital, where, after two months and one-and-a-half lakh rupees, a Good Samaritan got them to Jaslok with the help of a Trust. The last evening, I saw the bill status: over seven lakhs, already!

A coffee at he cafeteria costs Rs.25/- and a sandwich Rs.45/. This lady survives on vada-pav and cutting-chaai which vendors sell outside. What is endearing to see is that, some one or the other gets her a sandwich or a veg-biryani every now and then... She insists not to... Still...

What is also endearing – rather inspiring – to see is, that she doesn’t spend her time there crying, worrying and blaming!

And, this afternoon, as I was trying to walk into the lift, I heard someone crying hysterically. It was another young-lady, trying to be consoled by at least six to seven relatives. The lady’s young-husband had just succumbed to cancer!

So, did any of these make my burden, my anxiety, less?

You just need to be there, aware and awake... You just to be there on you knees, telling God, “Thank-you.”

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

reading this blog post..i'd cold feet and goose bumps..as if I cud actually picture it in front of my eyes..Thank you Lord so so much for all your kind and good mercies:))

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...