THE RICH AND THE POOR







Pic.:  Sherry Haridas

At the Jaslok Hospital, the ICU is situated on the 19th floor. After the operation, my dad-in-law has been in the ICU, now. The attendant-relatives are supposed to wait on the 20th floor. Yesterday, I spent almost seven hours waiting there. But, as I watched the stunning skyline of Mumbai... the silent Arabian Sea in the west and the breath-taking view of the setting sun, I forgot for a while the purpose of my waiting... the anxiety, the strain and even annoyance, yes, all these seem to dissolve in the silence. Down below, the thick traffic, on the left Mukesh Ambani’s outlandish mansion, ‘Antalia’... on the rear side of the hospital stood the glorious twin-towers of Tardeo... perhaps, the tallest so far in the city...

But, let me tell you this: Compared to the serene beauty of God’s Nature, the opulence of man looked so pale... I was mesmerized and turned speechless by the glory of God, which was so freely available to the rich and the poor, the healthy and the sick, the literate and the illiterate...  yes, all alike.

I came home, last night, a lot refreshed... A lot unburdened.

Once, a rich man, whose family lived in opulence of a big city, wanted to show his young son, how badly the poor people lived. So, he took his son to one of the poorest villages and they lived there for a couple of days.

On returning home, the father asked his son, “How was the experience, son?”

“Too good, dad,” replied the son.

“Did you see how the poor lived... How different they really are from us, the super-rich?”

“Oh, yes dad, I did see that very clearly,” the son said, with conviction.

“Can you tell me how different they are from us?” the father wanted to know.

“Dad, we have only one dog at home; they have four,” the son began to narrate his experience, “We have a swimming pool which stretches only till the middle of our garden; they have a creek which is boundless... Our patio reaches our front yard; theirs touches the horizon... We live by the light of our imported lamps; they live by the light of the glorious stars... Dad, I saw this is how the poor live... and, this is how they are different from us, the super-rich!”

Like everyone else, I, too, work hard and work long to live well with decent comforts, if not luxuries. But, honestly, the richness of life does lie in the kind of mindset we possess and not the kind of bank balance or the mansion we own... I pray: “God, give me some wonderful friends, some simple taste, a big heart, a loving family, a strong mind, and, above all, the ability to live with my needs and appreciate what You have blessed me with...and, help me eternally remain grateful for it.”

There are two types of people in this world when it comes to the divide called - the rich and the poor: On the one side live those who have loads of wealth but suffer from the poverty of their heart. On the other side live those who have hardly any wealth but rejoice in their hearts of gold!

To rejoice in the glory of the setting Sun, I need to have a rich heart...

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Punit Gupta said…
Wonderful Post Gerry, keep writing. Punit Gupta
Darpan Gupta said…
Well-written. Darpan

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...