ALL THINGS UNDER THE SKY CAN BE DONE BY US DIFFERENTLY, CREATIVELY
















“One must still have chaos in oneself
to be able to give birth to a dancing star.”

A couple of days ago, on the Raksha Bandhan night, the five-year-old daughter of my friend, Vishwanath, came to show me her latest art-work. In a ruled notebook, she had drawn two rakhies with color pencils…

“Uncle, I made them; you liked?” the little-one wanted my verdict… and was waiting for it…

“Wow, you made them?” I said with excitement, “They are beautiful!”

The glow on the little-lady’s face was immediate… “Thank-you, uncle,” she folded the notebook.

“Tell me, dear, did you tie Rakhi today?” I asked our little-girl.

“Yes, I tied,” the reply was packed with excitement.

“Who did you tie, beta?” I asked, knowing that she was the only child of my friend.

“My daddy,” the shy-girl slipped into my friend’s fold.

“How sweet!”

Now, was the little-lady’s art-work really beautiful… and my “Wow” sincere?

Did I really mean when I said, “How sweet!”?

Little children are the most creative people on this earth… They are so innocent and curious, so wonder-struck and excited, that whatever they create comes out fresh, out-of-the-box… It is only when they learn to be concerned and afraid about the opinion of people around them – yes, the ‘big people’ – that their creative mind learns to be cautious and calculative… The innocence and wonder begin to die out and, the stereotype mind takes charge…

Yesterday  morning, Sean, another friend of mine, had shared on FB the images of some of world’s most creative sculptures and had wondered, how on earth such a simple stuff can be made into such a mind-blowing piece of art. He had written, “Incredibly awesome stuff!! Can't help wondering, the cool people who thought these up......what were they on? I mean someone was at these places and just imagined these sculptures there and went and made these.......How crazily cool are they!”






When I viewed those images, I was left equally amazed!

At home, in the night, I saw the full-page advertisement of Kalyan Jewelers. Their brand ambassador, the gorgeous Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, was draped in a full-length golden gown… Yes, incredibly designed with hundreds of varieties of gold bangles… Whether thousands of those bangles used to make that neck-to-ground dress are made of real gold or fake gold, is not the question here… The question here is, some cool fellow out there had the baby-like innocence, wonder and gumption to conceive it in his mind, and then go ahead and do it… When I watched, later, the video of that ad on YouTube, I could feel the power  and value of that substance called ‘Gold’!






If we need to give our little-children the most precious gift, far more valuable than gold, I think, it should be the lesson, that, all things under the sky can be done by us  differently, creatively… and, there is no limit to it, end to it… Everything can be created or re-created by us with our special touch…. With our own magic and mystery.

I, also, think, that, if we can allow our children to trust their creative instincts and explore their world, we would be the most creative parents, teachers and guardians in this, otherwise, stereotype world…

This time, a little-one had tied Rakhi to her dear daddy…

So what?

Yes, how sweet that can be!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Video courtesy: YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...