THE FARMER WHO WENT ABOUT SOWING SEEDS...






Pic.: Anand Ashokan

Mayank* is a wonderful boy. He is in twelfth standard – ISC and goes to a reputed institution. Besides, he comes from a wonderful family... Both parents are highly educated, and the family is blessed with, almost, everything one would desire.

But, to me, Mayank has been a kind of mystery. He loves me and respects me. But, lets me down when it comes to his attendance... If he attends one class, he misses two, at times, three! I have tried my level best to make him understand... He realizes his problem, gives me a new promise... only to break it, once again! This has been going on right since his eleventh standard. This year, he has Board exams; so, I am quite concerned...

Yesterday, Mayank had attended my class after missing three classes in succession. I consciously decided not to ‘lecture’ him or ‘scold’ him. It was futile, I knew it... If it hadn’t worked for this long, it wouldn’t for whatever period is now left. So, I went about  teaching the class...

The good thing about Mayank is, that, he has a sharp mind and can pick up quickly from anywhere, anytime! Finally, that’s what matters... I have seen, over the years, often, many students like Mayank end up scoring better marks than many of those so-called ‘studious’ students. Most of Mayank-type of students are all-rounders and possess a thinking and creative mind. So, it is best if you don’t put pressure on them... and, just keep guiding them and motivation them to go about their journey...

I was happy about Mayank, last evening...

“So dear, when next?” I teased Mayank as he was packing his bag. Finally, the teacher in me couldn't control the urge to ‘teach’ anymore...

“No sir, I won’t miss the next class, I promise,” Mayank held his throat.

Before I could say anything, his friends gave a big laugh...

“Don’t laugh,” now, I teased them, “He will do better than you guys.”

“No way!” Mayank’s friends roared!

“Well, jokes aside, my dear young-ones, for me, all of you are same... I want all of you to do equally well in exams and life... After all, standing here, don’t I teach the same lessons to all of you? Don’t I do it with the same love, energy and passion?” I was, now, in my full flow..

I remembered the parable Jesus had used – The farmer who went about sowing seeds... Some seeds fell on the pavements; and birds came and quickly ate them up... Some seeds fell on the hard rocks; when the Sun came up, they died in his heat... Some seeds fell amidst thorns and weeds; they got suffocated, couldn’t just make their way up... And, finally, some of those seeds fell on the fertile soil; and they grew up as beautiful, fruitful plants...

Yes, I shared with Mayank and his friends – all my students – the priceless parable of Jesus... “Like that farmer, I go about sowing these seeds, my dear students,” I concluded, “longing for all of them to grow up beautifully, and yield lovely fruits.”

The class was over...

*Name is changed


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Vijay Naik said…
Just superb!! Vijay Naik
Anonymous said…
Beautifully connected.
--- Girish Khanna

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...