THE BROKEN TUSK OF LORD GANESH




Pic.: Chetna Shetty

What is endearing to see, here in Mumbai, is the amazing fact that Ganesh idol is kept and worshiped by almost every kind of person – regardless of religion, class or creed. Mighty rich and the downright poor, Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims, yes almost all rejoicing in the Ganeshotsav… And, the Visarjan... Little ponds and lakes, vast rivers and seas… Lord Ganesh is sent off in any of them…

But, it was not so, where I grew up – Mangalore. Only the members of  GSB (Goud Saraswat Brahmins) – the Konkani community – would keep Ganesh idol at their places… and, on the final day, immersed the Lord’s idol at the wells in their compound. It was a quiet, dignified affair… Mostly a private one.

What I remember the most about it is, that, our next-door land-lady had a GSB tenant. Now, the land-lady was a Christian and had her rigid mindset. She would never allow her tenant to immerse the idol in the well in their compound. So, they approached my mom,. She gladly allowed our neighbors to immerse the idol in our well. Thus, for close to a decade, till they shifted to another place, Lord Ganesh idol continued to seek its final abode in our well…

I was doing my degree college, then… and, just beginning to show more interest in studies… particularly in expressing myself well through my writings… Prof. Raman had come in my life to inspire me to become a teacher and writer like him… But, I did not know, that my passion for writing had something to do with the well-water I was drinking!

The legend has it that the great Vyasa muni had requested Lord Ganesh to write the Epic – Mahabharata. Lord Ganesh had agreed to do it on the condition that Vyasa muni should dictate to him all in one go, without any interruption. To this, the great sage had wittily put a counter condition that Ganesh should never write it without understanding what he was writing! Thus, the deal was struck… and, the Holy Book – with its priceless jewel called ‘Bhagvad Gita’ – was born. However, during the course of writing, Lord Ganesh’s feather-pen broke, and not wanting to break the promise, He immediately cut a portion of one of his tusks, and continued to write with it!

Lord Ganesh, for this reason, is worshipped as the God of knowledge… Yes, apart from the fact that he is, also, worshiped as ‘Vigneshwara’ – the God of protection!

So, as the beats of drums, sound of music and the loud chants – ‘Ganpati bappa morya’ – surround me from all around, I can sense that quiet space from where these lines stem…

I am happy, that my mom – a devout Christian – had gladly allowed our neighbors to immerse Lord Ganesh idol in our well…

For ten long years, as a young boy, I was blessed to drink this holy water!

Wishing all of you a happy Ganesh Chaturthi. May the Lord bless you all with abundant knowledge, and, also, guard you, always.


GERALD D’CUNHA 

Comments

NUTAN DESHMUKH said…
There is so much learn in this post, besides inspiration...NUTAN DESHMUKH
Anonymous said…
Amazing!!!
- Henna
Nilesh Shah said…
Inspiring and honest----- Nilesh Shah

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...