'ACCEPTANCE' IS NOT JUST ANOTHER WORD





















Pic.: Chetna Shetty




“For after all, the best thing one can do
when it is raining is...
let it rain.” 



Whether you agree with it or not, Mondays do bring, for most of us, those blues which none of us likes...

I had a relaxed Sunday, yesterday. At night, a friend of mine had invited some of us for a dinner at a lovely restaurant. None of us could attend his daughter’s marriage, which had taken place in Lucknow, recently. So, he wanted to share his happiness with some of us, here in Mumbai. We had a wonderful time and returned home quite late...

This morning, I had my early-morning lecture. So, while teaching my students, I could understand, very well, the meaning of the phrase – ‘Monday Blues’!

But, then, there was no option but to beat them... and beat them black and blue!

How did I do it?

Being a Sunday, I hadn’t come to my classes, yesterday. So, this morning, till I was in the midst of my lecture, I didn’t realize that a wonderful lady, who lived in this building - and was suffering from cancer - had succumbed to it, finally, last night. It was time for the body to be taken away for cremation. I wound up my class a little early, went to the residence of the deceased lady, condoled her husband, son, daughter and the rest in the family... and, then, joined the funeral procession, spent some quiet moments at the cremation ground... and, then, came back to move on...

Once here, I wanted to write, in my blog, something about death... something about the loss, suffering and acceptance... So, the moment I sat down to write, I watched a funny video-clip posted by my friend Joe... Joe is a funny guy... He has a chronic sense of humor and can make you laugh at your worst times!

So, as destined, his funny share made me feel a lot lighter... My Monday blues had, already, been washed away by my experience at the lady’s funeral... Something bigger had helped me deal with something so small as my Monday Blues... I had met all the family members and they all had come to that powerful inner-state called – ‘Acceptance’. They knew that the death was coming, that it was inevitable... So, when it happened, they were all prepared silently. They cried; but, there was strength and dignity in their sorrow... To me, it was a moving experience...

“Monday Blues,” I was asking in my mind, “What is that supposed to be?”

Joe makes you laugh... Death makes you cry. Last night was a party by someone so nice and it was so full of happiness... This morning was the funeral of someone so nice... and it was so full of sorrow!

Life is such. Yes, Life is such! Where, Monday is just another day... Blue is just another color...

But, ‘acceptance’, I strongly conclude, is not just another word!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Meena Rao said…
Loved it. Meena Rao
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank you Meena. Love

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...