THAT LITTLE EXTRA IN MY 'THANK-YOU'










Pic.: Anand Ashokan


“Courtesy is the one coin
you can never have too much of or be stingy with.”


 A couple of days ago, Ekta, a dear student of mine, who presently pursues MBA through a reputed institution in Mumbai , had posted a picture: “She is holding ma hand, you see!” Ekta had given the caption, filled with pride and excitement...

The present Union HRD-minister, Ms. Smriti Irani, had visited Ekta’s college. The picture captured the moment when Ms. Irani had held Ekta’s hand as she was stepping out of the car.

“Ekta, please don’t wash that hand... yes, till you hold mine!  What say????” I sent my teaser to Ekta, indicating that it was a precious moment, and she had to cherish it for a long, long time. “Till you hold mine” was to convey that I, too, being Ms. Irani’s great admirer, would love to feel the fragrance of her hand, of course, via Ekta’s hand!

“Hehe...Okay sir....not yet washed m comin sir...” Ekta was quick in responding to me.

“I am waiting! BTW, Ekta, where was this, ur college?” I wrote.

“Yes sir,” Ekta confirmed.

Ekta, actually, she shd hv kept her hand on ur head... Her thoughts are so clear, and she is such an amazing communicator. So, I wish that gift comes to u all, young-ones. Tcre. Love,” I couldn't conceal the actual reason why I had asked my student, Ekta, not to wash her hand...

“Yes sir... actually, even I thought so...” Ekta agreed.

There is a reason why I am reproducing here, what seems like, a routine. conversation between me and Ekta, my student. In the para, where I was saying, “Ekta, actually, she shd hv kep her hand on ur head...,” I was, obviously, referring to Mrs. Smriti Irani when I said ‘she’. But, after a while, I felt something inside my heart and began to ask myself this: “If I had admired Ms. Irani so much, why didn’t I write, “Ekta, actually, Ms. Smriti Irani or Ms..Irani or Ma’am instead of ‘she’?”

I know, it was not any big deal, and, neither Ekta nor any one, who had read that routine statement, might have though as I did. .. Still, I was feeling strongly in my heart, that making it personal – Mrs. Irani or ma’am rather than ‘she’ - would have been more graceful, honest, and effective too...

Just like this. Today is the 19th b’day of one of dear students, the bubbly and chubby girl, Renita. Imagine, I wish her on FB, this way:

“Happy b’day”.

Imagine, Renita replies:

“Thanx.”

But, we would, certainly, not like it that way. I would write:

“Happy b’day, dear Renita... Have a wonderful day. Love.”

Yes, I would make it personal - only to my dear student, Renita...

And, my student Renita would, also, reply this way:

“Thank-you so much sir. Lots of love.”

Now, we would get that straight into our hearts... Wouldn't we?

This is just an example.

A hundred conversations – sms’s, WhatsApp, FB, e-mails and wherever it is – happen every day. Some touch my heart; some don’t. I feel happy and elated on reading some; cold and dejected on reading some... And, the reason for the difference is simple...

I don’t forget to use my students' names - Ekta , Vishal or Renita... And, my students don’t forget to use that one word – ‘sir’!

Oh yes, though the sky wouldn't fall if we all forget to do it, something would, certainly, happen inside our hearts...

I am sure, at least Ekta, Vishal and  Renita would agree with my ‘old-fashioned’ logic!



GERALD D’CUNHA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...