"WHEN YOU KISS YOUR BABY, YOU'VE KISSED THE FACE OF GOD"









Pic.: Amrita Jeurkar



I had no plan to write this till a few minutes ago. I heard a knock on my office glass-door. When I turned back, I saw Vishaka and Prakruti, two l1-year-old girls, were standing outside the door. They wanted to show me a one-year-old baby, who they were holding in their hands, with loads of excitement...

“Choooo, choooo, choooo sweet!” I got up from my seat and opened the door, “Bring in the joy.”

I was enchanted to watch the glow on the faces of the two 11-year-olds. They weren't related to the baby. Still, they poured so much love and affection on the baby... so much faith...

I said, “So much faith.”

As I bent down to kiss the baby, gently, two lines from one of my favorite songs – ‘Mary Did You Know?’ – began to play in my heart:


“And when you kiss your little baby

You've kissed the face of God.”


The song was about Mary, the mother of baby Jesus...



“Mary, did you know

That your baby boy will one day walk on water?

Mary, did you know

That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?

Did you know

That your baby boy has come to make you new?

This child that you've delivered

Will soon deliver you...”



This baby’s mother was no Mother Mary... But, here was her baby, who, one day, would ‘walk on water’ and ‘give sight to the blind’ and calm the storms’...

Yes, did this mother know, that her baby was a blessed child?

Did your mother and mine know that you and I were their blessed babies?

Well, we may not walk on the same water as Jesus did and we may not calm the same seas as He did... We may not heal the blind and the sinful or raise the dead the way He did...

But, we ‘will’ – this little baby will – walk on our own waters and calm down our own storms... Yes, we will heal and touch in our own way... Give new life in our own way, too...

Mother, did you know this?


That, this sleeping child you're holding

Is the Great I Am...


Mother, did you know?


I can hear the song still...








GERALD D’CUNHA

Video courtesy: YouTube


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...