Friday, January 8, 2016

MIND NEEDS CONSTANT CHALLENGES









Pic.: Azriel D'Souza


“Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.”

My problems keep my mind alert, agile and prepared. If I had no problems, my mind would have been dull, blunt and laid-back…

So, thank God, I have problems!

Mind needs constant challenges… My problems provide my mind with this…

But, like everyone else around me, my first reaction to any new problem of mine is: “Oh, not again!” Or, simply: “OMG!”

Yes, invariably, it is my first reaction. But, then, when my reaction ends, I realize, that, I cannot expect this journey called Life without the bumpy ride… Life has problems… In fact, Life needs them…

I, invariably, get this realization.

An hour ago, a dear friend of mine had come to meet me. We spent close to forty minutes catching up with some good-old times… Suddenly, a phone call came, and, Lo! I had a new problem – a new challenge in hand! I could to see the way my mind was working now… It was all geared up… It was on fight-mode… Though my initial reaction was, once again, was the familiar one – “Oh, not again” or “OMG”, it all turned quickly into a warlike situation…. My mind had become suddenly very, very alert, agile and ready to deal with the new problem I was faced with…

Was it stressful?

It was…

Was it good or bad?


My friend, Dr. Deepak, had told us this story in his blog, one day:

The fishermen in Japan go to deep seas to catch fish. To ensure that fish is brought ashore, alive, they build huge water-tanks aboard their boats. The fishermen do one more thing to ensure that the fish remain alive: they put some sharks into the water-tanks!

So, now, there is no way the fish can go off to sleep… The sharks keep them alert, agile and alive… Sharks keep them constantly prepared!

Every time I get bogged down by problems and tend to react “OMG”, my friend’s story brings a smile in my heart. “My friend, God has put those sharks in your tank,” I hear my friend’s counsel, “so that you come ashore alive!”


GERALD D’CUNHA

1 comment:

Hitesh Luthria said...

truly sir!!!! if we dont get problems in our life, we wont even move an inch to improve and move ahead in our life....