HOW I BEGAN TO LOVE EAGLES





Pic.: Azriel D'Souza

We are introduced to some nice things in life through our children. My son has done that, often, to me. One of them was the rock band, EAGLES.

Now, EAGLES ruled in seventies when I was a college boy. Yet, I wasn’t introduced to their music. I was more inclined to love the Pop and Country music… ABBA, Boney M, Bee Gees, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Lobo, Neil Diamond, Don Williams…. So, anything ‘heavy’ wasn’t my cup of tea…

I was blissfully ignorant about some of the fine music that belonged to other segments….

So, when my son was in school – in ninth standard to be precise – one day, he called my wife and me, made us sit next to him before the computer, and made us listen to ‘Hotel California’… yes, again and again and again… He told us stories about how the song had come about… How it had undergone changes over the years… He showed us the original track… and showed us the one the group had performed decades later when they reunited… Importantly, our son had become fascinated with guitar, by now!

Well, ever since then, I have been a great fan of EAGLES and their cult-song, - an anthem for many generations - ‘Hotel California’…

Today, as I logged on to my computer, I received the news-feed: Glenn Frey, the key founding member of the group, and the lead guitarist and vocalist, had passed away at 67. “Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia,” a statement read.

Something inside my heart prompted me to write a small piece about Glenn and EAGLES… about how our children unfold before us some beautiful things… Maybe, along with this, I was also prompted to remind myself, that, in Life, all beautiful things come to an end…

Including music…

Including fame…

Including our relationships.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Azriel D'Souza

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...