FEARLESS: DISCIPLINE






Invariably, all of us – if not ‘all’, most of us – have disciple in those areas of life, which, we have made as our priority areas. We have a strong value attached to those areas and hence, we give a lot of attention and focus to these areas…

Yes, most of us are disciplined in that sense…

For example, when it comes to my work – getting up, starting my first batch, being punctual and regular… writing a bog almost every day… keeping my promise and commitments… thanking, appreciating, keeping good communication etc... yes, when it comes to these, I am very disciplined. Working hard, yes… I am extremely disciplined… Keeping good relationship, yes, I am extremely disciplined… Forgiving and letting go… yes, I score excellently there, too…

And, yet, there are many arrears in my life, I lack discipline. On top of this list comes my health care!

Health is wealth… Don’t I know this?

The problem doesn’t lie in ‘knowledge’… Problem lies in ‘implementation’ of that knowledge! Some of my young students, who find it difficult to dedicate 15 or 30 minutes every day to do their daily homework… are so used to my ‘preaching’ on self-discipline… But, what makes me, many times, to go soft on them is the fact that some of these young kids are extremely disciplined in their own areas like cricket, football, swimming, gymming, singing, music, dancing, drawing, photography, making videos and posting them and so… Nobody reminds them to be disciplined in those areas, nobody nags them, coaxes them… They are self-motivated because, their heart is there in those areas, they value those things… They made it their priority…

But, studies, homework etc… They haven’t, yet…

Just the way, I haven’t started doing that 30 minutes to one-hour walk everyday… Just the way, I haven’t’ yet made sensible eating my priority, yet. Yes, just the way I constantly remind my students to do their daily homework and studies, my doctor keeps reminding me do bring about the changes needed for my good health…

Last night, I was talking to my friend, Dr. Deepak about the medicines I was advised to take by my physician… For over 30 minutes, Dr. Deepak tried to explain to me why discipline and commitment for good health comes before getting dependent on ‘drugs’ and ‘chemicals’… For the first time, I started seeing the ‘point’… the ‘truth’… and, made, then and there, a decision to start my morning walk right before the night ended…

So, I was up, got into my walking shoes, and did a brisk 30 minutes walk in my complex… 5 to 5:30 in the morning… Only one more gentleman was seen doing the walking that early… But, I did it till I sweated… I came home and did another 20 minutes of breathing, a bit of stretching… and, let me tell you, I really, really felt good about myself…

As I was leaving for my work, I saw a video sent by Dr. Deepak to me on Whatsapp. He wrote: “Good morning sir… Here is a motivational piece for you!” It was titled:

‘FEARLESS:DISCIPLINE’!!





It all fitted perfectly well, like a jigsaw puzzle!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...