THE POVERTY OF AMBITION



“If you would get ahead, be a bridge.”

Welsh (on ambition) 

Ambition is not only a highly misunderstood word, it’s also a grossly misused one.

When I first woke up to this vocabulary, I was all set to step out of my college. I was still filled with self-doubts… shy, scared and overwhelmed by the feeling of unworthiness. Simultaneously, there was a dream inside my heart, which was restlessly struggling to make its way through the mess called my mind. The result? More self-doubt, more anxiety!

It’s here, on the streets of Bombay – more than four decades ago - when I found an used copy of Napoleon Hill’s ‘Think and Grow Rich’, that I was first given the ‘deeksha’ of ‘Ambition’ … Good, that it came to me when I needed it the most. But, in retrospect, I say, that it’s even better, that I learnt, right at the outset, that the deeksha of ambition could lead me to be a worthy human or an unworthy one. I was just getting into the world with my college education tucked around my mind. But, I knew, that’s not enough… My mind and heart needed a different kind of education… They needed to be fired by the ‘loftiness of ambition’… not by the ‘poverty of ambition’…

I learnt, early, that having no ambition in life was not akin to ‘Poverty of Ambition’… It’s absence of ambition. Having self-centered ambition would be the ‘Poverty of Ambition’…  This catalogue was heavily loaded with personal symbols of success.  It’s this kind of ambition, that I wanted to steer away from…

The ‘Loftiness of Ambition’, as I understood early in my life, focused on the model: when I empower others, I empower myself. Personal symbols of success never featured in on this catalogue!

So, as I mentioned at the outset, in this Post, ‘Ambition’ is not only a highly misunderstood word, it’s, also, a highly abused one.



On 13th May, 2009, President Barack Obama was invited to deliver the Commencement address at Arizona State University. He was 49 and he was the first Black President in American history. Just four-and-a-half months earlier, when he was elected to be the President, the world, and America in particular, was facing the worst recession after the Great Depression… American people wanted a leader to fire hope, ambition and idealism in their sinking hearts. Obama’s arrival on the American consciousness was like a fresh breath of air… bringing along the desperately-needed re-ignition of hope, ambition and idealism…

Here is the Commencement address Barack Obama had delivered on 13th May, 2009, extempore, for a stadium packed with students, teachers, alumni, faculty and university officials. I consider the words of former American President to be golden. Please listen to him fully… and save the 'hard copy' in the special locker of your most cherished things…



Through our ambition alone, we progress in life. However, if alone our progress enables us to be the ‘bridges’ for our fellow-beings, the ambition provides the ‘loftiness’ to our education. Else, it’s the ‘poverty of ambition’!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Pic.: 1. Zachary DeBottis  2. Oliver Sjostrom  

Video: Arizona State University (ASU)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...