NOT MY BATTLES

 



“The punishment of every disordered mind

is its own disorder.”

St. Augustine of Hippo


The ‘master key’ to our personal peace – peace of mind – is not to participate in every ‘battle’ that is being waged around us. Why people raise these battles – well, it’s not for me to judge. What is for me to judge is whether or not I should be a participant in that battle…

“Let’s choose our battles wisely.” I humbly accepted this piece of advice from one of my friends, a couple of years ago. In my ignorance – and arrogance – I was getting more and more drawn into the cesspool of ‘meaningless’ and ‘toxic’ battles around me. I was justifying my involvement under the garb of ‘I can’t be a mute spectator’… Yes, that’s what getting me sucked more and more into meaningless battles – arguments and counter arguments, coups and counter coups, allegations and counter allegations… One doesn’t need to fight battles with weapons like guns and swords… The toxic gun-power of the mind is equally lethal. Often, it leaves us wounded and destroyed more than our opponents…    




I have learnt it the hard way…

To choose my battles in life, very, very wisely…

To let people carry on their battles the way they please.

 

I have, also, realized it the hard way …

That, I am not sent on this earth to solve the problems of this world; I have enough problems of my own to solve…

That, cleansing my mind and heart of the toxicity is one of the best ways of cleansing the toxicity of this world…

That, taking side when people fight can be very harmful to my soul…

That, whatever adds to my prejudice, is the stuff to stay away from…

That, other people are answerable to their deeds; its’ their Karma… Let me mind my own…

That, whether a battle is worth fighting or not, my conscience knows… And, for that, I should be able to listen to my conscience… I should not allow it to die!

 


Am I seeing people around me engaged in fierce battles?

Am I able to see how my mind reacts to them?

Are these battles meaningful to my life and worth participating in?

 

Let my conscience remain awake and alive…

Let me fight for defeating my own prejudices…

 

I am not the Saviour of this world – Krishna or Christ!

 

GERALD D’CUNA

 

Pic's.: pixabay

Video: Bethel Music

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...