THE HOUSE OF RAM




“I close my eyes, in order to see.”

Paul Gauguin

I love stories from The Ramayana, The Mahabharata, The Bible and almost every Holy Book. My earliest impression of some of these stories goes back to my primary-school days. Ours was a local village-school. But, the teachers in our school knew to recount these tales with vibrant imagery. About the stories from the Bible – both, The Old and The New Testament – yes, we had our Sunday-school teachers, who, too, relayed those stories with life!

Therefore, those stories are still alive, not just in our minds, but, also, in our hearts. Thank God, we kids grew up appreciating stories from the Holy Books of all faiths. I feel, truly, blessed about this fact.

Ours was a mixed neighbourhood...  Hindus, Muslims and Christians, all. As a kid, I remember spending a lot of my play time in Hindu households, who used to have on their walls those large-size colourful calendars of Hindu deities. I, particularly, remember getting excited about one of them: Hanuman tearing his chest!

One elderly house-lady, sensing my excitement, had narrated this inspiring story:

Lord Ram and his wife Sita have just returned to Ayodhya following the victory over the evil. People of Ayodhya are ecstatic and celebrating… Lord Ram and his wife Sita are expressing their gratitude by showering gifts to everyone who have helped them in their victory… When it comes to Hanuman, Lord Ram becomes very emotional… “Your help has been supreme,” He says to Hanuman, “I can’t thank you enough.” Just then, Sita, takes off her precious necklace of pearls and offers to Hanuman as a special gesture… But, Hanuman is not impressed…  He takes out pearls from the necklace, one by one, to check if his Idol Ram can be seen in any one of them… Unable to see Lord Ram in the pearls, Hanuman discards the necklace, shocking almost everyone who is present there… “Why are you behaving like this?” … Hanuman is asked. “Because, I do not like to wear anything in which I cannot see my Lord and His beloved wife.” One of the men retorts angrily, “You wear your body; show us Lord Ram and his beloved wife in it.”… “Here it is,” Hanuman, instantly, tears open his chest… And, behold! Everyone is amazed to see, inside, the graceful presence of Lord Ram and Sita!”






There is a great celebration in Ayodhya today… People are excited about a Great Temple for Lord Ram. I remember, very fondly, the story of Hanuman, the greatest devotee of Lord Ram… The story as recounted to me, when I was a li’l village-kid, by a kind neghbourhood lady. A simple, devout Hindu.






Jai Shree Ram!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic's.: pixabay

Video: kailashkher


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...