OPEN THE EYES OF MY HEART

 


“True miracle is not walking on water or walking in air,

but simply walking on this earth.”

Thich Nhat Hanh

 

Everything I have learnt in life has not been taught to me by my school and college teachers, parents or grandparents, or by my spiritual teachers. Yes, I have learnt a great deal from them. But, the most valuable lessons, which I have learnt in my life, often, I have learnt by being quiet… watching the sky and the sea, the grass and the grasshopper, the just-born and the just-dead… I have learnt many, many lessons from strangers and, even, from my oppressors…

Like these simple things, which I have consciously embraced to practice in my life…

To address people – including the parents of my students - as ‘Sir’ and ‘Madam’; regardless of their age, education or position…

To rise when I greet people in person… I feel, I should follow this more and more often… Just rise…

To add that personal touch in my every conversation – be it on SMS, WhatsApp, FB, email, postal letters, greeting cards and, yes, on calls – just by adding ‘Joe’, ‘Jane’, ‘Sir’, ‘Ma’am’ etc. The bland line like this – “Did you receive my mail?” becomes more personal, if I just add the person’s name in it:  “Joe, did you receive my mail?”, or “Thanks” becomes really an expression of gratitude, if I just add, “Thanks, Jane”.

I like when a student of mine gives me fees in an envelope, rather than in open… and, I feel specially touched, when he or she writes “Thank you Sir”, or “With Gratitude”.

The day I felt warmth, when I first consciously noticed someone ending the note with the four-letter word ‘Love’… Yes, that day, I decided to end my own notes - letters, messages, comments, replies, every note – with ‘Love’! And, what a powerful warmth-giver that word is!

My teachers, parents, spiritual gurus – none of them – taught me when to smile, laugh, cry, wonder, worry, feel joyful or scared… Living close to Life taught them to me… And, believe me, I am not ashamed of crying, worrying or feeling scared… just as I am not boastful of smiling, laughing, wondering, or feeling joyful. To me, these are the essentials of being a true human…They make me feel, that I am truly experiencing life… and the Creator!     



Public display of my affection to my loved ones – be it my wife or son, mom or brothers, whoever it is – doesn’t come to me easily… But, a warm hug does. And, I think, most of the times, it leaves all of us filled with enough warmth!

Saying “I am Sorry” … “It’s beautiful” … “You look great” … “I need some help” … “I will be delighted” … “I will be grateful” … “Touched” … “Honoured” … “Feel humbled” … “Feel blessed” … “Feel privileged” … Oh yes, there are so many warmth-givers like these. And, I repeat, everything has not been taught to me by my teachers, parents or gurus…

But, paradoxically, I have learnt all of them from my ‘Teachers’! Someone - as I said, a friend, foe or a total stranger - has been my ‘teacher in Life’. But, above all, the quiet sky and the rivers, the grass, the flowers and the butterflies… the stars and the winds, the birth of a baby and the death of a dear one… even the sound of my gentle breath…  the striking awareness of my mortality - how short, yet, how precious this gift called Life is… Yes, yes, yes… These have been my teachers in Life… They have taught me to look up in awe, appreciate, celebrate… or just be!

Listen to li’l Christopher sing – ‘Open the eyes of my heart; I want to see you’…

 


Paulo Coelho says, “Grandeur of God reveals itself through simple things.” I am able to understand why!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: 1. Matt Hardy 2. M. Rohana

Video: All Around

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...