THE FORTIES AND THE SEVENTIES




"Inviting people to laugh with you,
while you are laughing at yourself,
is a good thing to do.
You may be a fool; but, you are a fool-in-charge.”

Carl Reiner

Two separate messages received by me, today, from two different individuals – my friends – brought that much-needed smile on my face. Yes, my two friends did not know each other, and, they did not know, that their random messages had the potential of brightening up my day!

Perhaps, one of the hardest things to do – at least for me – is to laugh at oneself. So, whenever someone does, I feel happy.


My first friend is one of the brightest and the most affectionate souls. He comes from a wonderful family… and, he is admired by every one he interacts with. Yet, in his mid-forties, my friend remains blissfully single! Some of us - not to mention his own family members – have been nagging him, “Settle down, settle down.”

To which, my friend, who is a doctor by profession, has his mischievous response: “Doctors never settle; only the mud settles!”  

So, we all have given up… No more nagging with “Settle down, Settle down”!

Today, my friend sent this video and lit my heart:







“Is it you, buddy?” I asked my friend…  “Kuch karo yaar!”


The other friend of mine had a news to share. “Gerry, my son scored 76% in 10th (SSC Board).”

The message had a laughing emoji and a thumbs up at the end!

Well, this friend of mine is a fine trainer of physical fitness and an exponent in the field of well-being. He is hugely respected for his expertise and human qualities. So, I had this to say in my response:

“Your son is like me… a believer in ‘moderation’ in a world obsessed with marks. That said, he needs to develop some fine skill-sets as you and I did. That would be more than enough. Please convey my best wishes to young man.”





Today, both my friends – a doctor and a trainer – showed the heart to laugh at themselves, yes, amidst “Settle down, Settle down” … “Kuch karo, Kuch Karo”!

Eventually, everybody does something in life… and, everything settles in life… The forties and the seventies, therefore, hardly matter. A good laugh does!



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic's.: pixabay

Video: Unknown


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...