LET NOT THE WINNER TAKE IT ALL

 



"When you win, say nothing;

when you lose, say less.”

Paul Brown

 

Some days ago, when India staged an unbelievable win at The Gabba, Brisbane and clinched the latest Border-Gavaskar Test Series, the high that we all received seemed perfectly reasonable. After all, we had achieved the unthinkable – with a bunch of inexperienced and untested boys. Just think of it: In the first Test, our ‘formidable’ squad had crashed at 36, the lowest in our Test-matches history. And, here we were, on the last day of the last Test-match: Clinching a series, thanks to the boys who were supposed to be ‘extras’!

Moral of the story?

Nobody remembers the humiliating defeat of our ‘formidable side’ just weeks ago… Everyone remembers only the sweet victory…

All is well that ends well…

Yes, winner takes it all!

That day, when we won at the Gabba grounds, I was teaching online, my room-door closed. But, even with door closed, I could hear my 28-year-old son screaming, clapping, whistling and jumping as our young boys were inching close to victory. When, finally, they did – and all hell broke loose -  I came out to see (class, by then, was over!), what was going on… My 86-year-old father-in-law, too, seemed ecstatic… My son briefed me on the heroism… as if it was the bravest thing he had ever witnessed in life.

I stood there, in the hall-room, for a while, listening to my son’s commentary and watching the victory-lap… I, too, felt the goosebumps and, I, too, felt very, very proud. But, within a few moments, I came back to my room, thinking in my mind, this:

“Whatever happened to the 36-all out?”



Our collective memory is not only too short, it is, also, too selective. When our ‘formidable team’ had crashed for 36 just weeks ago, the nation cursed it and wanted to parade the team on donkeys!

And now?

That’s how we, as spectators, always, like to behave, while the Gladiators slog it out there in the Colosseums. We are, more often, unreasonable, unfair… just merciless!

So, frankly, I am not allowing myself to be carried away by a match-victory or a series-victory like this one. Because, in Life – as in all games – ‘some we win, some we lose’…

Ojingiri Hannah says:

“If you think Life is all about winning and losing,

then you refuse the knowledge to learn.”








Is England the next Colosseum?

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s.: Getty Images

Videos: 1. cricket.com.au  3. Shaun O'Hagan 2 & 4. SceneScreen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...