THE LETTER IN THE EMPTY DRAWER

 


“A graceful heart is a virtue of the meek.”

Suzy Kassem


What happens to my self-esteem and mental well-being if I spend too much time – even little time – listening to and intensely involving with those Primetime TV debates? What happens if I keep involving myself in those endless twitter-wars between people, say, Kangana Ranaut and Diljit Dosangh or Amit Malviya and Kunal Kamra?

Sometimes, out of curiosity – and my innate human prejudice and weakness – I get involved, only to come out a lot ‘disturbed’. Then, I regret: “Why did I waste my time?”… “Why did I allow myself to deflate my self-esteem?”

“Don’t bring home the filth of the road,” my dad used to, often, scream at us when we were little boys, “What belongs to the road should not come home.”

My heart and mind are my home… What goes on at Primetime or on twitter, yes, often, is just ‘filth’…

Leave it to the road… Don’t bring it home…  I am strongly reminded

A friend of mine has a simple yardstick: “Does it add value to my life?” he asks, “Does it make me a better human being.” If it doesn’t, it is not to be allowed in… Leave it on the road!



I wrote on Donald Trump in my last Blog. It’s about four years since Barack Obama handed Trump the power to govern the same country, which Obama had governed for eight years. Both were the Presidents of the same country – Great America… and, both lived in the same house – the glorious White House. Reading about Obama, listening to his speeches, the way he conducted himself etc., - yes, have, always, helped me grow, become a better human being. It has added value to my life.

And, Trump?

I found this amazing video - Pete Souza’s photo-story on Obama. Pete was the chief photographer of Obama for eight years with absolute access to Obama and his personal life. (He was, also, the chief photographer of Ronald Reagan). It was while going through this video, I learnt about the cultured manner in which Obama had left the White House to make way for Trump… We are told, that the outgoing President had left a personal letter in the empty drawer of the Presidential table. It was to wish well the incoming President and the first lady, on behalf of himself (Obama) and Michelle!




Do we see such a gesture today as Joe Biden is expected to come in to occupy the same house?

That’s why it’s important to let into our own ‘homes’ – our minds and hearts – only those things that help us become better human beings. What belongs to the ‘road’ should never be brought home!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's: Pete Souza/The White House

 

Video’s: 1. Universal Pictures All-Access 2. ABC News


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...