THE HILL WE CLIMB

 



“When the day comes, we ask ourselves

where can we find light in the never-ending shade…

The loss we carry, a sea must wade,

We have braved the belly of the beast,

We have learned that quiet isn’t always peace,

And the norms and the notions of what just is

isn’t always justice

And yet, the dawn is hours before we knew it…

Somehow we do it.”

From the poem – ‘The Hill We Climb’ recited by Youth Poet-Laureate

Amanda Gorman at Joe Biden’s inaugural ceremony.

 

I wanted to watch the live inaugural-ceremony of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris for several reasons. One of the reasons was this: I wanted someone to ignite in my bosoms – Hope!

It’s immaterial whether I live in distant America or here in India, Hope is mankind’s deepest need for survival. I firmly believe, that there is light at the end of any dark tunnel we now find ourselves in. So, when someone like Joe Biden, who now heads the most powerful – but severely bruised – democracies in the world, stands there and takes oath in the name of Unity and Hope, I find myself, alongside millions around the world, ‘healed’ and ‘energized’ to live…

So, I sat through the entire inaugural ceremony and came out refreshed…



Amanda Gorman, the youngest poet-laureate ever to recite an inaugural poem, was a pleasant surprise to me. The recital of  her poem – ‘The Hill We Climb’ – further ignited Hope in my bosoms…

What a powerhouse – and a Beacon of Hope - this young, Black-girl is!




Well, the world found Amanda on 20th  Jan., 2021 on that august moment of her poetry recital. I, too, thank my stars for finding her that day. Consequently, I found many more things about this amazing young-girl. Listen to her story:

 


As she admits, Amanda began to write in order to overcome her speech impediments. I had the similar issue at hand… I hailed from a vernacular medium (Kannada) and a household where English was foreign… I suffered from a killing inferiority complex… The thought of facing a crowd and opening my mouth completely paralyzed me… My self-confidence was so low, that it affected my academic performance, prevented me from taking part in any outdoor or indoor activities… The constant feeling of unworthiness, always, projected before me a hopeless future…

Thus, when I sat in a crowded classroom and watched my college Professor (my idol – Prof. B.S. Raman) and dreamed of becoming like him – a fine teacher and writer – the two impediments which stood before me like Godzilla’s were my poor English and stage fear. Today, when I look back, I can tell you this: My desire to become a teacher and a writer was far stronger than the two fears that held me captive. To overcome my speech impediment and low self-confidence, I started writing a line or two in my private journal… I soaked myself in Enfilsh dictionaries and motivational books… I kept seeking help from my closest friends and relatives; and, above all, I kept facing my fears, over and over again… I allowed the positive feedback from my well-wishers to build my self-confidence… and this: I discarded from my vocabulary the word – ‘Perfection’!

Let me tell you this, when I am soon going to be 63: The reason why I keep writing, almost every day, is to deal with my innate imperfections. The struggle to improve - feel worthwhile and good about myself - is far from over. As Amanda says referring to Democracy, “It can be periodically delayed, but it cannot be permanently defeated”, I say this referring to our self-growth:

It can be periodically delayed, but it cannot be permanently defeated…

That’s the Hill we all have to climb, you see…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: 1. Getty Images 2. pixabay

Videos: 1. ABC News  2. CNN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...