TO FIND A RAINBOW, LOOK UP

 


“You are not rich until you have a rich heart.”

Roy T. Bennett


I don’t understand how money grows, even though I keep claiming, that the book, which revolutionized my own life, was Napoleon Hill’s classic – ‘Think and Grow Rich’.

I am growing to be 63 in July 2021. Money and wealth are nowhere near me. “Maybe, I am not destined to make pots of money,” I console myself, “I am content with my rich heart.”

So, my ignorance – rather indifference – about who is ‘the richest man on this planet’ still dominates my mind. For long, I thought it was Henry Ford, even though Henry Ford I was long dead. Then, for some time, I thought it was Bill Gates… After that, I stopped checking.

Two nights ago, my 28-year-old son introduced me to this 49-year-old gentleman by the name Elon Musk. Now, is it said, that ignorance is bliss?

“What? You do not know who Elon Musk is?” My son yelled, “Are you living under a rock?”

“It’s okay,” I quietly calmed me down, “Jab jaago tab savera”… It’s morning when you wake up!

My son ended up showing me many YouTube videos, trying to educate me on Elon Reeve Musk. His ‘acentric’ – out-of-the-world - inventions… Tesla Inc, which produces electric cars… SpaceX Inc, which produces, of all the things in this world, ‘ Rockets’… His lofty dreams to start human colonies on Mars… etc., etc., etc.

I gave up…

“By the way, Dad,” my son told me with excitement and pride, “Elon Musk has been declared the ‘Richest Man on Planet’, this month. His wealth is – hold your breath – 209 Billion USD!

“Oh God,” I exclaimed, “How do they become so rich?”







I am happy, that my son is fascinated by the life  and adventures of Elon Musk. It’s a billion times better than leading a shallow life…

“We all live in the gutter,” said Oscar Wilde, “but, some of us are looking at the stars.”

I am relieved, that Oscar Wilde, ‘despite seeing stars from the gutter’, only remembered for the richness of his heart and not wealth…

Ditto about another genius, who, most of us admire – Charlie Chaplin. He said this:

“You will never find a rainbow if you are looking down.”

Every soul on this planet has not been destined to make rockets and dream of setting up human colonies on far away planets. Some, like you and me, are destined to discover planets in our own hearts…

And, yes, ‘feel’ very, very rich!

 

GERLAD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: Getty Images

 

Videos: 1. ritm 1  2. Nerdiest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...