WHEREVER WE GO, WE CARRY OUR HEARTS, TOO

 


“As long as I am breathing,

 in my eyes, I am beginning.”

Criss Jami


“Boys will be boys.” My student Sanil* simply hates whenever I say this. He gets angry, thinking that I am biased towards him. He belongs to a small batch of five students in which he is the only boy. The classes, as you know, have been happening online throughout the lockdown period. Our girls do not give me any headache… neither when it comes to their attendance nor when it comes to their attention. They join the Zoom sessions without missing any of them and before time… Sanil needs to be coaxed and pushed. The girls show full attention – answering the questions and asking questions… Sanil is not bad in this respect though. God has given him a fine grasping capacity. But, as his parents say and I agree, ‘He doesn’t put his brain into use as far as his studies are concerned’. All these things are okay, tolerable. But, as several of Sanil’s online contemporaries do these days, Sanil, too, does this: He suddenly disappears!

“Sanil are you there?” No response…

“Sanil, can you hear me?”… Blank…

Video, as our policy, is not kept on. So, you cannot make out whether Sanil is there or not. There is no response on Chat front, which confirms, that our boy has kept the Zoom on and gone out to chill…

“No Sir,” there was an internet issue… “Power went off”… “You always doubt me, Sir,”… “You always say, ‘Boys will be Boys’… Not fair.”

Right since 24th December till yesterday, Sanil celebrated Christmas and New Year with his friends and cousins. Because he is good in catching up, I let him enjoy. Late last night, while sending him the Zoom invite, I wrote, “Sanil, please don’t miss, tomorrow.”

He quickly responded, “Yes Sir, I will join.” He added, “Can you please call me tomorrow to remind me before the session?”

The session was scheduled for 12 noon today. His WhatsApp status eternally tells us ‘Sleeping’! So, I smiled and wrote back, “Yes beta… I will.”

 

Thus, 15 minutes before today’s session, I called Sanil. He was kind enough to join when I started the session… All the four girls and one boy, as usual. It all went very well… Our girls and Sanil were very responsive… Just when I was about to take a sigh of relief – that is some 15 minutes before the session was to end – Sanil went out of radar…

“Sanil, are you with me?”...  Blank.

Sanil, can you hear me?”...  Blank.

Nothing from the chat box… Nothing in the message box…

I knew, Sanil was, once again, playing ‘Hide-and-seek’ or ‘Catch-me-if-you-can’.

He was the first to wish me ‘Happy New Year’ on the 31st Night… “Hope you will be a good Boy,” I had teased him.

“When was I a bad boy, Sir?” Sanil tried to tell me, “Sir, you are, always, biased towards me.”

“Chalo, chill now,” I had pacified Sanil.

Today was the first session with Sanil in the New Year. When he was not responding, I was getting annoyed, angry… “This is how the online sessions go,” I was grumbling, “Boys will be boys.”

The girls were silent…

I didn’t know if they were in agreement with me or in disagreement. That was making me feel lonely!

After the session was over, I sent a message to Sanil, “Sanil, please call.”

“The blue twin-ticks means, the other person has read your message.” My students had taught me this. So, this is almost night now; Sanil hasn’t called me, yet!

Boys will be boys?

I find myself grumbling…

I am expecting Sanil to become a good boy – a good student - in 2021. And, Sanil, perhaps, is expecting me to become a good boy, too… become a good teacher. So, who is supposed to change for the good in 2021?

I remember this old story…

 

THE TRAVELLER

 


One day, an elderly man was resting in his veranda. A traveller stopped his car to ask the elderly man, “How are the people in this town?”

“Young man, how were the people in the place you travel from?” asked the elderly man.

“Oh No! They were the meanest and the most disgusting people one would ever find,” grumbled the traveller.

“Well then, you will find the people of this town to be the meanest and the most disgusting ones… Drive on.”

Some days later, another traveller stopped his car and asked the elderly man the same question. “Sir, how are the people in this town?”

The elderly man had the same counter question: ”Young man, how did you find the people in the town you came from?”

“Wow! They were the kindest and the most affectionate people one would ever find,” said the traveller.

“Well then, you will find the people of in this town to be equally kind and affectionate... Drive on.”

 


Am I the traveller or am I the elderly man?

Am I supposed to travel into the New Year with a new heart or am I expecting my students do so?

“Wherever we go, we carry our hearts, too,”… Na?    

 

*Name changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s.: pixabay

 

Video: The Voice UK

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...