THE FUTURE IN A BASKET

 



“Every child comes with the message,

that God is not yet discouraged of man.”

Rabindranath Tagore

 

My wife and I have just returned after visiting Hardeep’s house. Hardeep is a friend of ours, who got married quite late in life. After marriage, she moved to Gurgaon where her hubby had been living. Presently, she is in Mumbai for a few weeks with her three-month-old baby-girl. So, my wife and I wanted to see both, the baby and the mother…

The baby was fast asleep, with her tender hands raised the way the smiling/ laughing  Buddha did. In fact, in her sleep, the baby was smiling!

For a while, I stood there mesmerized, reflecting over what Lish McBride had said:


“You know what the great thing about babies is?

They are like the bundles of hope… Like the future in a basket.”


How I wished the baby in this basket remained a baby in the future, too!

If alone the wishes were horses!!!

You and I have been once babies like this little bundle of joy is… We, too, had slept, blissfully, like the little Buddhas and smiled in our sleep… We, too, were called ‘the future in a basket.”

And, now?

That future is here…





I really think, we become harsh and hardened as we grow up… Innocence and purity get lost – rather, get robbed… Yes, all in the name of growing up…

What a loss! What a tragedy!

“May she shine… May God guard her,” I had left a small note in the cradle…

But, I had only wished in my heart, “May she, always, retain her innocence and purity.”

“Like stars are to the sky, so are children to the world,” said Chinonya J. Chidolue… They deserve to shine.”

 

 


 

“Keep looking son (baby) , keep looking," Mafasa had urged Simba...

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: 1. Hardeep Kaur/Amarjit Singh Saini  2. pixabay

 

Video: Super Scenes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...