BEHIND THE GOOD SAMARITANS

 




“You never know where a blessing can come from.”

Teena Marie

 


This morning, I met a young lady (let me call her Vishakha), after a very long time… She was on way to her office. During the brief course of our discussion, I learnt, that she was presently working for a reputed CA firm after completing her CA exam some years ago. She seemed very happy about the progress she had made. “Thank you Sir, for the help you had offered when I needed it the most,” the girl said. “I can’t help enough Nilesh Sir, too,” she added, “It was because of his financial help, that I could venture into doing Chartered Accountancy.”

Years ago, when she was doing her B.Com, Vishakha had come to see me, along with her mother. I learnt, that the mother was raising Vishakha all alone as her husband had deserted them. They lived in a small, rented house and faced a lot of financial problems. But, Vishakha was not only a bright student, she was, also, a confident and articulate girl. I had immediately agreed to help her with her B.Com studies without charging her any fees.

But, was it true, that I had taught Vishakha free of any charges?

Not really.

Nilesh, whom Vishakha had mentioned in the conversation, was one of my earliest students. When I was teaching him in his final-year B.Com, I was a bachelor and worked till late in the nights. Nilesh, who worked as a mechanic at a workshop of one of his relatives, attended my last batch (at 9.30) every night. His clothes and hands, often, were greasy. But, Nilesh’s enthusiasm and energy were never low. After completing his graduation, Nilesh started his own business and did well for himself. What impressed me the most was this: One day he had come to see me to share with me his desire to financially help some deserving students. Over the years that followed, I would connect many deserving students to Nilesh and he would quietly help them. Since he had seen me working late into nights, he had told me one more thing: “Sir, whenever you forego some deserving students’ fees, please let me know, I will pay you on their behalf and that would remain only between us.” It’s, at this suggestion, that he had mentioned about another Good Samaritan – a successful businessman in the locality. “Sir, this generous man quietly hands me over the aid amount, which I would be passing on to you, so that the deserving young kids can complete their studies and do well in life.”

Nilesh had reached out to Vishakha during her CA studies, with the Good Samaritan, always, remaining anonymous… The young lady was now a young accounting professional…

“Send a ‘Thank-you’ message to Nilesh Sir, today,” I prodded Vaisakha, this morning, “Tell him about your progress… He will be delighted.”






And, what about the Good Samaritan, who helped all of us anonymously… Who will send a ‘Thank-you’ message to him, today? Vishakha doesn’t know about him and I haven’t ever met him…

Maybe, you and I will never be able to know or meet every Good Samaritan in our lives…

You see, behind every Good Samaritan, there is another Good Samaritan… Yes, we will never know where a blessing can come from.


*All names changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: Pixabay

 

Video: Dare to do Motivation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...