NOT FAR FROM THE EPICENTRE

 




“It takes an earthquake to remind us,

that we walk on the crust of an unfinished planet.”

Charles Kuralt


 

Last evening, while watching the disturbing images of devastation in Turkey, I remembered one of my dear friends. His sister’s entire family has been living in Turkey for nearly ten years, now. I was quite tensed as I messaged him… “Hope sister’s family is safe in Turkey.”

“Mercifully, yes. The tremors haven’t touched Istanbul, yet,” my friend replied.

That’s when I realized, that my friend’s statement carried a great irony of our existence…

When natural disasters, like earthquakes, tsunamis, cyclones etc., strike, you and I are either caught in them, or spared. “God has been kind,” was my instant conclusion on reading my friend’s reply. But, at hindsight, a question kept haunting me – “Why has not God been kind to the ones caught in the disasters?”… “Why has He been so selective?”

But, then, who am I to question God?





Not very far from the epicenter of Turkey’s natural disaster, we, also. get to witness a man-made disaster. Exactly a year ago, Russia invaded Ukraine and the war still rages on. There is a long history behind this war… It has been raging on for years with no sign of ending. What about the citizens caught in the middle of this man-made disaster?

While you and I can take a sigh of relief saying, “The war hasn’t reached our door, yet,” the same response pops up: “God has been kind to us.” Followed by the same question, “Then, why has not God been kind to those caught in this war?”

Both, the earthquakes and wars, are beyond the control you and me. We can feel sad and extremely concerned about the helpless people… We can pray for them and their countries… Maybe, we can remind ourselves to live with humility and gratitude…

That’s all we can do…

Charles Kuralt’s statement makes sense: “It takes an earthquake to remind us, that we walk on the crust of an unfinished planet.”

I wish to add this: “It takes a war to remind us, that we walk on the crust of an unfinished ‘collective greed and arrogance’.”






GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: Kahlil Ashawi/Reuters

 

Videos: 1. The Global and Mail 2. KING 5 Seattle

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...