THOUSAND FULL-MOONS




“Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly.”

Khaled Hosseini

 

Some days ago, when my friend Jayaprakash invited my wife and me to attend his father’s 80th birthday celebrations (scheduled to be held today), I heard, for the first time, the beautiful idea of man being able to see ‘Thousand Full-Moons’ in his lifetime. Considering the fact, that it takes around 28 days for a full-moon cycle, I learnt, that man has to wait a few more months after completing his 80th birthday to claim, that he has lived to see thousand full-moons in his life. I, also, learnt, that it’s an important milestone in a man’s life, and as per the Hindu/Tamil tradition, it’s, generally, celebrated grandly only when his spouse is alive…




                                                      My friend’s parents: Mr. & Mrs. Rajangam 



                                                            The blessed ceremony by eleven priests


Ever since I heard this phrase – ‘Thousand Full-Moons’ - from my friend, I was quite intrigued. You see, the Moon has, always, inspired mystics, poets, songwriters, storytellers and spiritual masters down the ages. I had, often, used Rumi’s words:

“Let the waters settle, and you will see the moon and the stars mirrored in your own being.”

And, today, during the celebrations (Sadabhishekam) of my friend’s father, my friend’s sister came to each guest present in that hall carrying a beautiful golden-looking bowl… It had crystal-clear sesame oil which was still, with a serenely-rested coin in it… Each guest was supposed to look into it for a moment… When I asked my friend’s sister, all innocently, "What’s its significance?", she said, with equal innocence, “Well… !!!!” I remembered Rumi’s words, once again, “Let the waters settle, and you will see the moon and the stars mirrored in your own being.”

I was, also, asking this to myself: “Will I be able to see in my life thousand full-moons?” But, I knew, how meaningless that question could be! For, I knew this, very, very clearly… that, I – like most on this Earth – have not been ‘seeing the full moon’ every time it has appeared. And, how amazing it could be, if I truly sat down and let waters settle and see the full moon and the stars mirrored in my own being!

Rumi had, also, said: “There is a Moon inside every human being. Learn to be companions with it.”





It’s a beautiful celebration – of Life. May my friend’s father and mother live to see many, many more ‘Full Moons’… Importantly, may the waters stay, always, settled in their lives!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: Solancha

Video: Elohim/Mei-lan

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...