GIVE US, THIS DAY, OUR DAILY BANANA

 




“Why ask for your daily bread, when you own the bakery?”

Randy Alcom

 


For many years, I used to regularly receive a small booklet (free of cost) by the name – ‘Our Daily Bread’. It carried some simple, yet profound, reflections to help wade through our frantic life. It was published by a Christian organization.  

When Covid broke out, I stopped receiving this booklet, and I completely forgot about it… Out of sight, out of mind!

Some days ago, when my wife and I had gone to Mahim church for a novena, I stopped at the book counter just outside the exit… My eyes fell on this 2021 annual-edition  of ‘Our Daily Bread’. I, immediately,  began to glance through some of its pages, when I heard the man at  the counter gently nudge me, saying, “Please take it.” I pulled out a note of Rs. 500 to pay – without even checking the price… I was simply told with a smile, “It’s free.”






That’s when I realized, that all the books and magazines displayed at that counter were old ones… People seemed to have donated them to this Centre, and the Centre, in return, seemed to pass on the good deed. I ended up picking up three different books and two magazines. The gentlemen at the counter appeared more than happy to see those amazing books and magazines going to people who loved to read them…

“Give us, this day, our daily bread.” For those who aren’t familiar, this line is taken from the famous prayer Jesus had taught to his disciples, when they had asked the Master to teach them to pray. Ever since then, this prayer – ‘The Lord’s Prayer’ – has remained the most popular and recited prayer. Each line in it is profound, and calming.

At times, I stop after each of these line and go silent… When I come to the line, “Give us, this day, our daily bread,” I, particularly, pause to reflect. “Go slow, go slow, go slow,” I hear from within.

How peaceful life can be, if you and I could truly rely on this message!

But, as Randy Alcom says, the temptation is to say, “Why ask for our daily bread, when we can own the bakery?”

That’s why, probably, the Master seemed have added in His prayer these lines, too: “And, lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”

On reading my Post on Adani episode – ‘Bubbles are Beautiful’, my dear friend, Dr. Deepak had shared this hilarious poster:





 

I smiled and replied to my friend: “Long before the Master from Nazarene taught humans to pray, saying, ‘Our Father in heaven… Give us, this day, our daily bread,’ He seemed to have taught our ancestors to pray, saying, ‘Give us, this day, our daily banana’.”






The famed Forbes list is the expensive offshoot of our much-hyped ‘evolution’…

How else can it be described, Sir?



GERALD D'CUNHA


Pic's: 1. Pixels 2. Discovery House 3. Unknown

Video: Gaur Gopal Das

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...