WHY IS GOOGLE PINK TODAY?

 




“Valentine’s Day is the poet’s holiday.”

Ted Koosner

 

Even the all-mighty and omnipresent Google has turned pink this morning… Love is in the air, you see.

Frankly, when I was in college, back home, I hadn’t heard about this ‘Love Day’. But, by the time I landed  in this big city – that’s some 43 years ago - it had already spread all over the world. When I heard my young students wishing each other (including their teachers) – ‘A Happy Valentine’s Day’ – yes, that’s when I realized, that when things are air-bore, they spread very, very fast. That’s also the time, I first began to grasp the meaning of the saying, “Jab jaago tab sabera”…

Love was always in the air… I was just waking up to smell it!





Whether the idea of celebrating this day as the “Valentine’s Day is a desi one or a videsi one – I really don’t care. It makes almost all of us feel a little high today. And, I think, that’s something nice…

Thank God, they have dropped the idea of hugging the cows, today. For, I knew, from my village days, that all cows were not kind and docile as they were thought to be. Some could be really rough and angry. So, we knew, through our raw wisdom, as to which cows could be hugged and which were best left alone…

In the year we got married, we were invited for a lunch by one of my wife’s relatives near her ancestral house. The little kid in that house was so excited to show us the cows in the shed. There were two cows… He tenderly hugged the first one and said, mixing English/ Konkani/Tulu, “This one is ‘paapa’” – meaning, “This one is kind/innocent”. He nudged us to hug that cow… She was really sweet!

Then, standing away from the other cow, the little fellow cautioned, “This one is 'jhor' -  meaning, “This one is rough/angry.” So, we had to leave her alone… No hugging.

Many years later, when we received the wedding card of this little-fellow-turned-young-Valentine, my wife and I remembered our guided-tour to their cow-shed, and wished the one he was going to hug to be a tender one – very loving, very caring. But, yes, certainly not a docile one…




A Happy Valentine’s Day to all… Love and hugs!


 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's : Pixabay

 

Video: Amul TV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...