LEARNING ISN'T A SPRINT; IT'S A MARATHON

 



“The world doesn’t remember how fast your learn;

it celebrates the impact you make with your  knowledge.”

Unknown

 

A couple of days ago, in a session I was conducting for the underprivileged kids (helping them to speak and write in English and motivate them to become better human beings… Call it with its exotic name - ‘Personality Development’, if you like!), there was this mother alongside her 11-yeal-old daughter. Mother worked as a ward-maid in one of the local nursing homes and had realized her handicap while interacting at her workplace in English. So, she was the most enthusiastic and determined learner in that otherwise group of 20-plus kids. The 11-year-old daughter studied in a local English-medium school. Thus, she wasn’t facing the problem which her mother did. But, the level of motivation of the mother was manyfold higher… She was absolutely determined to overcome her handicap despite her hectic schedule at home and workplace… For daughter, there was nothing to spur on… It was one more ‘class’, you see.

As I always do during such sessions, that day, I had asked the participants to narrate the childhood story of ‘The Rabbit and the Tortoise’ in, both, Past and Present tenses. At the end,  everyone had the moral of the story ready: The slow and steady wins the race… Don’t be overconfident… Don’t’ underestimate the strength of others… Aaram Haram hai… and so on.

I saw the eyes of the mother welled up… “Kya hua, madam?” I gently asked…

“Kuch nahin, Sir,” she said with hesitation and a slight embarrassment.

After the session, this woman stayed back. “Sorry Sir,” she said sincerely, “I found myself running like that tortoise… It gave me hope.”

Obviously, the mother wasn’t able to say this in English… But, her Hindi was poking me hard saying “And, you their English teacher… Yes, you had Hindi in your school as a third language. But, you have been living here in Mumbai for more than 45 years and yet, you are nowhere near the finish line when it comes to speaking or writing in Hindi.”




I knew my own struggle to learn English. My medium wasn’t English and I was dreading to open my mouth while interacting with English-speaking students. It was during my degree college, that I had dreamt of becoming a fine teacher and writer like my idol, Prof. B.S. Raman. Thus, to achieve my dream, I had to beat my two handicaps – my poor English and my terrible stage fear… My faith had to be stronger than my fears… It took many, many years - and consistent and determined efforts - to overcome my handicaps. But, along this learning process, I developed the expertise to help others to overcome their own handicaps… I dedicated my life to do that.

Did the slow and steady win the race?

Well, life – or the process of learning -  isn’t a ‘race’ at all. That has to be learnt by each and every ‘Rabbit or tortoise’ in this world…

Speed can never be the indicator of one’s potential. The mighty oak tree takes years to become ‘mighty’… but, it goes on to live for centuries. Similarly, the legendary Chinese Bamboo grows ninety-foot tall… but, to get there, it takes five years under the ground and just six weeks above the ground…

The longer it takes, the stronger it gets!




As the wise words remind us: “Learning isn't a sprint; it’s a marathon… Pace yourself and enjoy the ride.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: Pixabay 2. Shutterstock

Video: Talent Recap (AGT)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...