DO YOU CONDUCT TESTS?

 



“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”

Benjamin Franklin

 

One of the questions many parents frequently ask me is this: “Do you conduct tests?”

Well, I don’t have to explain to you as to where that question comes from. After all, they want their young ones to ‘score well’ in their exams. So, a good score means good learning. Conversely, a poor score means poor learning (poor teaching, to be blunt!). I assume, that the insistence on regular tests comes from there…

Fair enough…

I lay a great deal of emphasis on my students’ attitude along side their aptitude. “Put your heart and soul and learn… Learn like it’s a story… Get hold of the concepts… Learn logically, with a practical bent of mind… Stay self-motivated… Stay focused, passionate and committed.”… This is my daily charging in the class… “Marks are the by-product of your work, not the main product,” I keep drilling into the young minds.

Mercifully, many parents and students understand the depth of my philosophy. But, there are many others, who don’t…

Today is my Mom’s 90th birthday. For the last two years, she has been confined to her bed and the wheelchair, unable to move, eat, recognize… She is fully dependent on the love and care from her eldest son, Franklin and his wife Merlyn. About two years ago, following her fall, Mom’s condition had become critical. That’s the time I had started working on a book on her… I had titled it – “The Good Shepherd and Her Lost Sheep’. In the Section 1 of this book, I had shared stories about her impact on my growing-up years. In this Post, I wish to share one such story…

 

THERE WILL BE BIGGER EXAMS IN LIFE


Mom in 2008 

As a teenager, my self-confidence had been extremely low. I constantly suffered from an inferiority complex, what, today, they call ‘social anxiety’. It was not only a chronic one; it was, also, a killing one!

But, at that time, I was not in a position to know what it was, nor I was in a position to ask about it from my parents. I endlessly compared myself with others and felt horrible about myself… I thought, everything about me was ugly – my looks, my walk, my talk, my clothes, my English, my condition at home, my lifestyle, even my parents… I felt inferior about everything…. I felt there was nothing good about me… I was worthless!

Ironically, I was feeling so, despite being praised as a ‘wonderful boy’ by almost everyone around. It’s like someone said, ‘Standing knee-deep in water and dying of thirst’!

Those who go through a chronic inferiority-complex can vouch for this experience!

I was, perennially, thinking about my future and  feeling anxious. It was showing mentally and physically, both… My hands would shiver involuntarily and make me feel embarrassed. To avoid embarrassment, I was trying to hide myself from ‘public’… I had, slowly, stopped going for weddings, social gatherings and, even, church services.

To make my condition worse, I was too self-conscious about my English. I was from a vernacular medium (Kannada) and I spoke Konkani at home. So, English was a nightmare for me… I envied those who spoke fluent English and let my mind suffer even more.

Invariably, one of the biggest casualties of social anxiety is your academic performance. Due to the low self-confidence, you dare not to have dreams and lofty goals, which include the academic excellence. In my case, the same was the reality… My marks were pathetic!

As I said, those were my days of ignorance. Reading motivational books, attending self-development workshops, watching  empowering videos etc. – well, to this village boy, these things were to happen much later in life. The boy kept his feelings to himself, and suffered endlessly, assuming, that it was a ‘disease’!

One day, I had come home after writing my class 11(We called it First PUC) final exam in English. My Mom saw me frightened and  sob uncontrollably. I had messed up the exam. I was not able to complete the paper and worried about failing. “Mom, I will fail in First PUC,” I was crying.

My Mom, who had hardly faced any school-and-college exams in her life, pulled me close to her and said, “Don’t’ cry, son… There will be bigger exams in life.”

I did not understand what she had meant by ‘bigger exams in life’, even though I felt comforted.

By the time I landed in class 12 (Second PUC), I had started liking the English subject because of good English teachers. We had stories from Shakespeare and Kalidasa and a quiet fascination for storytelling had begun to simmer in my bosoms.

And, by the time I landed in F.Y. B.Com, my self-confidence was all set to go up… I was watching Prof. B. S. Raman, the legendary teacher and author in St. Aloysius College, and dreaming to become like him – a fine teacher, writer, and, yes, an idealist. My faith and dream had become stronger than my fears and self-doubts… I was destined to convert my two biggest handicaps – my fear of English and stage – into my biggest strengths. I ended up not only becoming a fine teacher and writer, I ended up helping thousands of young boys and girls beat their own fears and self-doubts. My relentless blogging and decades of work through The Dawn Club were the direct offshoot of my own killing inferiority-complex as a young boy.

It took many, many, many defeats and triumphs to understand the meaning of what Mom had said to me on seeing me cry, fearing I would fail in an exam: “Don’t’ cry, son… There will be bigger exams in life.”

Yes, there have been, many… And, there will be, many more!


                                                                                   Mom now



So, the question the parents – particularly mothers – ask me, “Do you conduct tests?”

I remember my Mom every time I am asked this question…

“Happy B’day Mom… Love, gratitude and prayers.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s:1. Josh Willink/Pixel  2. Alcel Villa

 

Video: Pushpendra Kumar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...