ON THE OTHER SIDE OF FEAR

 




“Every child thinks archelogy is about digging up land

to find dinosaur remains and gold…

 I had the same intentions.”

Bhuvan Bam

 

This young boy (of class 12) stayed back after everyone had left the class.

“Want to say something, beta?” I asked him.

 “Yes Sir,” he said quite hesitatingly.

“Tell me, what is it,” I encouraged him to speak…

“Sir, I want to pursue Archeology. But, my parents and elder brother are against it,” he said.

“Have you found out why they are against it?” I asked.

“Sir, they think, that it’s not the field with job opportunities. They want me to pursue the regular fields where there won’t be scarcity of jobs.”

“Since when have you been thinking about Archelogy?” I asked the boy.

“For quite many years, Sir… Since I was a little boy,” he explained, “I am really fascinated by the idea.”

Now, it’s not every day, that I get a young one expressing his desire to pursue Archeology. Almost everyone wants to follow a road which is ‘more taken’… This was the first young man I was coming across, who  stood at his crossroad and longed to take a road ‘less taken’…

So, I said this to the young boy, “Beta, we are still in July… There is still time. I strongly suggest you to do more research on it… Don’t give up your dream. Once, you have done sufficient research and once you show sufficient clarity and confidence to pursue it, I am sure, people at home will support you. Their present anxiety is understandable… But, before digging land outside, you dig within you to discover the gold within.”




This young man may seem alone when it comes to his career choice. But, let me tell you, he is not alone. For,  when it comes to every other career choice, too, there is, always, anxiety and fear – “What if I fail?”… Yes, this question haunts, almost, every dreamer…

“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear,” says George Addair. Oprah Winfrey says something similar:

“I was once afraid people saying, ‘Who does she think she is?’. Now, I have the courage to stand and say, ‘This is who I am.’”

From my own experience, I know this: If this young boy digs deep and long within him, digging land outside won’t be difficult for him…

It’s said, “When you know what you want, the entire Universe will conspire in your favour.”




The Universe of our young man includes his parents and the elder brother, you see…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s.: Pixabay

Video: World Best Talent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...