THE CRUTCHES OF THE UNCOMMITTED

 



“Excuses are the crutches of the uncommitted.”

A.  R. Bernard

 

When I was in school (Higher Primary/High School) and college, I had three modes of transport to reach there: the local city buses, my bicycle (in college) and by walk. The one-way distance was about 3 to 4 kilometers. Taking a bus was beyond my means… I took a city bus very occasionally… Mostly, I walked both ways; and, while in college, mostly, I took my bicycle.

I remember the days when it rained heavily… The only way to know, that the school had declared a rain-holiday was after we reached the school/college… We had to reach there totally drenched, only to get informed – and thrilled – that there would be a day off!

And, today?

Technology – WhatsApp, Instagram, mobile communication and online options for students have made their lives not just easy, but lazy, too…

You see, during the rainy season, it would rain; and, many times, heavily. It’s expected. So, we kids had to gear up and, somehow, maneuver our way to school/college. Even to return, after a holiday being declared, we had to be prepared to wet ourselves so, so insanely…




Now? Yes, now, the messages start pouring more than the rain does… “Sir, I won’t be attending the class today – there is waterlogging outside our colony”… “Sir, can I join online?”… Or this: “Sir, I can’t attend even online… There is network problem.”

“Nothing doing,” I blasted to my morning-batch students, “enough of your excuses and reasons… Be there sharp at 9.15 either offline or online. Take it seriously.”

Almost all of them fell in line!

“Excuses are lies wrapped up in reasons,” says Howard Wright. If alone excuses and reasons could help!

They don’t… They really don’t.

The Pilot of a plane, the Chef of a hotel, the Surgeon who has scheduled a crucial operation, or the Judge who has given a date for an important case… the actor, director and the crew who have scheduled a big budget film-shoot – imagine almost everyone, who is in a responsible position, trying to offer ‘reasons’ for their absence…

On a rainy day, expect rain… even torrential rain. It had rained heavily, too, long before the technology came… People lived well… They braced themselves to cope with unpredictability of life.




“Sweethearts, you better grow up,” I  thundered this morning, “Excuses and reasons just don’t help… They rob you of your self-confidence and power. You better realize it when you’re young… Else, you will miss the flight.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: 1. Pixabay  2. www.reckontalk.com

Video: Free Documentary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...