LONG AFTER WE LEAVE THE CINEMA HALL

 




“In the art world, creativity involves aesthetic sensibility,

emotional resonance and a gift of expression.”

Edward de Bono

 

One of my often-repeated lines is this: “In life, everything is a storytelling.”

Everything?

Yes, everything.

Let me start from my work… I am a teacher, trainer and a small-time writer. But, what I am really trying to do is to present my subject like a gripping story. Now, you may be a doctor, chartered accountant, architect, a preacher, dancer, singer, film-maker, a chef, a restaurant owner, a barber, tailor, or simply a homemaker… Is it not but a amazing art of storytelling?

If every activity is seen as a wonderful storytelling, I am sure, that activity is bound to assume a different beauty and depth…

Yes, I am a storyteller when I teach, and you are the same when you perform your activity…





Influenced by several reviews and recommendations, last afternoon, my wife and I went to watch ‘Kalki 2898 AD'. We  knew it was a 3-hour-plus film, and had an out-of-this-world storyline… We knew, that it would be heavily loaded with VFX effects, graphics, animation and technology. Above all, we knew, that the hall would be full… and, it was so, even in the second week… The audience had all – the kids, the young, the old – men and women, all. And, most of them must’ve gone home feeling a lot charged. In fact, while leaving the cinema hall, I asked an excited little kid, “Got the power?”

“YES!!!!”

My wife and I got a severe headache… It was not the kind of film we would spend more than three hours watching…

But then, whose choice was it to watch, anyway?

Period.

One man’s food can be another man’s poison… What gave ‘power’ to that little kid gave my wife and me a terrible headache!

But, were not the filmmakers trying to tell a long, unique – powerful - story?

Yes, they certainly were… and, they seem to have succeeded, despite how oddballs like my wife and I had felt…

I am happy for the filmmakers of ‘Kalki’ and for everyone involved in this film…




I am an old-school film buff… I like simple, uncomplicated stories… I like them when the stories have a soul, emotions, a tight script, great visuals, gripping music, a beautiful end… When these are there, I really don’t mind if the film is a happy one or a sad one, a long one or a short one… What really matters is: Am I able to recall it long after I leave the cinema hall?

If a few things are narrated well, I will be able to recall them well. On the other hand, if a thousand things are narrated (stuffed) – no matter how well – I won’t be able to recall them well, even as I step out of the cinema hall…

I may be completely wrong in my assessment. But, that’s ok. If ‘Kalki’ gave my wife and me a terrible headache, that’s because of our own sensibilities and expectations… The little boy, who was charged with the newly-found power represents the sensibilities and expectations of the masses…



Meanwhile, I like simple, short stories with a beautiful soul…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 4K Wallpapers

 

Videoes: 1. Vyjayanti Network 2. Firelands Chevrolet Vermilion 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...