OUR TIME IN THE SUN












Another ‘hero’ passed away, yesterday. And, I am inspired to write one more Post, today… Yes, back-to-back.


As a kid, I grew up on the diet of Rajesh Khanna’s movies: Aradhana, Kati Patang, Amar Prem, Mere Jeevan Saathi, Bawarchi, Hathi Mere Saathi and Anand.


Romance. Songs. Style. 


Yes, as a blooming teen, Rajesh Khanna’s on-screen romance lit-up our tender hearts… We hummed his songs as we walked to and from our schools… And, yes, we tried his famous hair-style!


He was the reining star… The Super-star. And, fans, particularly the female fans, went crazy about him… the young, the middle-aged and even the old. I remember my own grandma raving about this young heart-throb after watching ‘Hathi Mere Saathi’ with other village oldies in one of the theatres in our town! The raving went on for quite some time, and it took quite many years for me to understand why one raved so much a celluloid hero like Rajesh Khanna?... And, why, even the wrinkled ladies, like my grandma, did that?

 
In a few years, this Super-star was destined to fade… and, another one was destined to rise!


And, since then, this star – Amitabh Bachchan – has remained my great inspiration. The romance, songs and the hair-style was now replaced by the intensity, the grit and under-dog spirit and, of course, the charisma. Never to forget the legendary discipline. 


I was young by then, and quite conscious about myself. I needed someone like this Angry Youngman on the screen to inspire me to fight my own battles…


Amitabh did exactly this. He does it to me, even now!








Well, the reason why I have chosen to write on Rajesh Khanna and other Super-stars is to remind myself this: “Look buddy, even the Super Stars fade…

The fame fades…

The adulation fades…

The power and the position fade…




Someone else will rise… 

will become a Super-star… 

will dethrone you from you seat… 

will take away all your fame, adulation, 

power and position…
 


And, you will fade away into the oblivion…


Are you aware of it? Or, do you still ‘resist’ this from happening?


When the inevitable comes, will you be prepared? Wise enough to accept and live gracefully with dignity?”


Yes, to remind myself about the mortality of fame, power and position!


It is tough. Very, very tough to accept this reality!


The irony is that when I am a nobody, I die to be famous – become a ‘somebody’. Then, when fame comes, I die even more desperately to remain there forever…  And, my struggle to be there, forever, now consumes all my energy… and, I embark on a losing battle against the simple natural law of life – ‘What goes up has to come down!”


No, I don’t want to come down… I fight, I struggle… I remain in fear, pain and sorrow.


Amitabh knows it… he has gone through all the familiar roller-coaster ride. He considers, with all his humility, that he is fortunate to be there – in the hearts of people - for so long. But, he is old… health is fragile… energy is dwindling… and, knows what a stupid idea it is, even to imagine in his wildest dreams, that he is a ‘Super-star’!


Shah Rukh Khan is on his way out… and, he, too, knows it.


Elvis Presley… The Beatles… Michael Jackson…


Marlon Brando… Marilyn Monroe… Sylvester Stallone…


Pale… Maradona… Mohammed Ali…  Don Bradman…


Winston Churchill or Adolf Hitler…


Gandhi or Bose…


It is only the little allotted time to you and me – the destiny’s children – to bask in the Sun…


That’s all to it… to our Super-stardom!


Perhaps, Rajesh Khanna himself tells this to us in his famous acceptance speech… 

 As Amitabh Bachchan absorbs.







GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Vivek D'Cunha

















Comments

Vijan Joshi said…
Very stimulating post. Thanks. Vijan
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Vijan, Love. GERRY
Anonymous said…
Great post and hard-hitting one. Keep it up.

Pritesh
Leena Rao said…
Limelight is temporary. Leena
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Pritesh. Love. GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Leena. Love. GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...