THE PURPOSE OF MY LIFE


















Mr. Patni retired from his Government service about ten years ago. But, he has been active all through these ten years. His day has a well-defined frame, which includes his daily walks and morning and evening rounds with his one-year-old grand-daughter. 


Around eight, every morning, when I reach my work place, I invariably meet Mr. Patni with his beautiful grand daughter. She greets me with her sunny smile… which means: “I am so happy with my grand pa!”


And, the grand pa, too!


For Mr. Kanade, another retired gentleman, his Doberman brings the same kind of joy. I see him in the mornings, I see him in the evenings… The Doberman is happy; Mr. Kanade is happy.


And, I see, every morning, at least fifteen ladies – most of them are middle-aged, or senior citizens - coming out of the temple, just outside my classes. They have just finished their morning Yoga session. And, almost at the same time, I see this group of about five buoyant elderly men… They are on their way back from the morning Laughter Session.


Mr. Lewis has not skipped a single day morning-Mass, for the past fifteen years... come rain or come Tsunami!


For Brian and Betty, it is the Sunday church-choir… Yes, for years and years, they have been leading it, along with their two lovely daughters… and, what a joy it brings to them!


For my friend Kavita’s elderly parents, it is Bhajans. They have been singing them with such devotion, for such a long period… and, even though they are not in the best of their health presently, when they sing Bhajans, they really forget about their health. They just sing, with great joy.


For Mrs. Das, it is her plants… 


For Mrs. Ramani, it is her hours spent in teaching under-privileged children…


For Mr. Kapil, it is his weekly visit, with his guitar and singer-friend Surjay, to their favorite old-age home.


For my friend Vivek, the treks he undertakes with his nine-year-old twins, the tennis and swimming sessions… Yes, they keep all of them happy.


Need I say… for someone, it is the food she prepares for her family…?


For someone, it is the time spent with their children helping them in their studies…?


For someone, it is the little sacrifice – small savings - they are making for the future of their little ones…?


And, need I say… some work for peace…some for environment… and, some for human dignity…?
























Many years ago, I used to think in terms of ‘Purpose of my Life’. It took some years for me to realize that, thinking in terms of ‘Life’ is too complicated, often too immobilizing. So, I have started thinking in terms of a ‘Day’… 


Do I have a purpose for  my day – ‘this day’?


If I don’t, I doubt, I can ever have a purpose for my ‘Life’!


Cardinal Newman’s prayer, long time ago, has already conveyed what I have just tried to... in this Post:




Lead kindly light

Amidst the encircling gloom,

Lead Thou me on;

I do not ask to see the distant scene…

But, one step enough for me;

Lead kindly light

Amidst the encircling gloom,

Lead Thou me on.





GERALD D’CUNHA


Pics.: Vivek D'Cunha
 





Comments

Viresh Nagpal said…
It is a different way of looking at 'purpose of life'. You have made it look so simple and practical.

Thanks.

Viresh Nagpal
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Viresh. Love. Gerry

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...