THERE'S FAR TOO MUCH TO TAKE IN HERE




















Many a times, I find myself almost tongue-tied. I am referring to some social situations. Like last night…. Like this day… Like this evening…


Last night, a young, dear couple had invited us for dinner. It was a lovely ambiance… The young couple made us feel special… Their parents were extremely affectionate… and, they had prepared for us a sumptuous dinner. We loved their little, vibrant kid. After the dinner, the couple showed us through their projector a touching Audio-video they had put together for their little one’s recent 5th B’day.

As the images flashed on the giant wall of their drawing room, the famous ‘Lion King’ song– ‘Circle of Life’ – was played in the back ground… The lyrics flashed through the images… and, these lines, suddenly, caught my imagination:

There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found


This is one song, I almost listen to every day on my PC. Yes, almost every day!

I, often, hum the lyrics… But, last night, when the lines came up on the screen, I literally cried, “Hey, I did not know, the lines were so powerful!”

I had been more of a listener, last night… I was finding it hard to speak. Yes, I stopped struggling… let go the need to say something forcefully… In stead, I found myself telling me in my heart, “Hey, tonight is the night for being a beholder… Just be one!”


I hope, by being a good beholder, 
one is able to contribute a great deal 
to conversations…



I hope, there are times

I must get into the flow of talking…

and, there are times,

I must just be a good listener…

a wonderful beholder!


Last night, though I did not say a lot… I hope, I have!

And, today, we had guests at home… The same pattern continued…

I found myself more on the listening side…

And, the pattern still continues… now, right now!

I can sense this urge within just to take more and more from around…

And, it really seems the time to ‘take’ is now…

So, as others speak, voice their strong views… I find myself listening to them… not feeling any urge to contradict, add or deduct… In stead, just allow the process to be.


I have been listening to the Elton John song almost daily. I have been humming the lyrics regularly… And, still, I have not felt as strongly about it as I did, last night!

Probably, it was time to ‘take’… and, there was so much out there to ‘take’…

Yes, the more I reflect on this phenomenon, the more I get convinced about the ‘circle of life’… maybe, weird it sounds, that my ‘giving’ has to come from my ‘taking’. The song, did have a different meaning to offer, last night:

It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life


GERALD D'CUNHA


Pic.: Roopa Sushil

Comments

Nalini Sharma said…
I liked the message you have given: we can not really give unless we take. Ironically, the more we give the more we receive, as well.

Thanks,

Nalini
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Nalini. Love. Gerry

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...