HEY, I KNOW YOU...



Haresh was born and brought up here – in this very building where I have my classes. After his graduation, their family moved to another place. It must be about five to six years ago. He had completed his MBA and joined a multinational. So, he was too tied-up with his schedule to visit his old place. 

Last week, Haresh happened to visit our building; and, on his way, he came to say ‘hello’ to me. I was delighted to see this young man, who now looked well-polished in the Corporate culture. More than me, it was Buzzo, our Society dog – who, too, was born, brought up and still lives here – who was thrilled to see Haresh. As Haresh was talking to me, Buzzo began to rub his golden body against Haresh; he kept wagging his tail with happiness... kept jumping… kept drawing Haresh’s attention and he wanted Haresh to reciprocate: “Honey how I missed you! I am sooo glad to see you! I really, really love you!” Buzzo said this all as Haresh showed his affection by caressing the big boy Buzzo. 

 “After how many years  is he seeing you, Haresh?” I asked unable to hold back my delight and curiosity.

 “Not less than five, sir,” replied Haresh running his hands softly over Buzzo’s back. 

“He remembers you still!" I expressed my surprise, “Look at him, look at the loyalty and affection!” 

 “Only a dog can be so loyal, faithful and loving, sir,” Haresh declared. 

 “Seeing is believing, Haresh,” I nodded my head in pleasant disbelief. 



It really feels nice, great in deed, when someone recognizes your presence. 

“I know you… I have seen you before… I have met you before…” Well, every time I meet someone, and if I have met that person before, seen before, talked to him before, transacted with him before – then, it really feels good when he gives me that feeling, that impression, when I meet him the next time. 

Yes, it is basic courtesy… and, luckily, most of us give each other this feeling, this impression, that we acknowledge each-other's presence. 




Even my laptop recognizes my face! 


Yes, it doesn’t forget my face, 


once it registers it in its memory! 


And, each time my laptop does that – 


recognizes me, acknowledges me – 


I really feel good, loved and respected.












True, I spoke about an animal. Then, I spoke about a machine! 

But, here is a man. A while before, I had been to his shop to buy something. Now, I have been doing that for not less than ten years. The same man. The same things that he sells. And I hope, I have not changed my face during all these years. But, every time I visit his shop, I get a feeling – trust me, I am not just guessing here – that he doesn’t know me at all… never seen me before, never spoken to me, never transacted with me! He treats me as if I am a total stranger… and, worse, it doesn’t really matter to him who I am… and, he really doesn’t give a damn! 

Believe me, only out of some helplessness, do I visit his shop. Given a choice, I wouldn’t. Never. Because, I really yearn for another human’s acknowledgement. I get a terrible feeling in my heart when a fellow-being – even after scores of interactions – just ignores me. 

Buzzo, the street dog – who meets hundreds of humans like me – is still able to recognize who Haresh is, yes, even after five long years!

My laptop – a lifeless machine – is able to tell me who I am… till it dies! 

And this man – my very fellow-being? 

Thank God, such men are very, very rare! 



GERALD D’CUNHA 

Pics.: Janardhan Narayan

Comments

Anonymous said…
Outstanding!!! Inspired!!!

Thanks a ton, Gerry.

..Shaila
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Shaila, Love. GERRY
Lalita Kunj said…
Yes, dogs and pets can be our best friends! Lalita
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Lalita. Love. GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...