THE MIRROR-HOLDER





I was just telling a young one, today, this: “No matter what, don’t be bitter in life!”

The young one, a very committed and soft-spoken person, was with me to discuss something that was consuming his mind. The pressure had weighed him down, and he sounded a lot bitter about people, and cynical about life.

He wasn’t this way before.

Understandably, the situation in hand had taken the better off him… The zest had taken a beating, and hope looked dim.

“It is just a temporary phase,” I encouraged the young man, “Don’t’ let this problem – any problem – rob you of your zest and hope.”

The young one was receptive to what I was saying. “But, sir…” he said, meekly.

It was not easy for him to see the light at the end of the dark tunnel. It was easy for me to counsel… but, not so easy for him to accept… now!

Now, the problem stood before him like a T-Rex… intimidating him, making him almost numb with fear.

We spoke at length… and, there seemed to be a slow and steady shift in the young man’s state of mind.

“All that is required, at this stage, is your deep faith in the goodness of life,” I said, “All things happen for our good… and, all things have the potential of  making you stronger, wiser and saner.”



Life, always, operated that way... 

and I could see this perspective, 

as I was outside the Young-man’s problem. 

I have been through such situations, 

countless times… 

and, I believe, all of us do.


So, what I said to the young man was what is known to all of us, including the young man! It is only when we are ‘inside’ our problems, that we lose our perspective.

Yes, the tunnel looks endlessly dark… And, people look untrustworthy… And, life bereft of sweetness!

“No, it is not,” I affirmed before the disturbed young man, “No matter what, don’t be bitter in life.”


I was feeling incredibly strong in my own heart... as I was telling that to the young man.

Perhaps, he had come to hold a mirror to me…

Just this evening.











GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Anita Dongre


Comments

RAVEENA CHAWLA said…
It is all how we view it from a distance. you hv put in beautifully. Thanks. Raveena
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Raveena, love. Gerry
Anonymous said…
inspiring post. Karan
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Karan,
Love,
GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...