LIFE... IS IT A GIFT OR IS IT A LEASE?
















Often, in the past, I have used the expression, “Life is a gift”. But, of late, I don’t like this expression. Instead, I find more often using the expression, “Life is a lease”.

So, in this post, let me explain to you why I am prompted to think so.

When I think about my life, it does seem to be a pure gift from God. Because, He has just given it with all His love. I haven’t worked for it, paid for it… Yes, I haven’t earned it. He has just placed it in my hand. So, it does look like a gift. 

But, then, whenever, someone around me wants to drill in my head the point that I have to work hard to earn my bread, sweat it out… I have to pay for the goodies I long for… I have to shed my ‘I am-entitled-for’ mentality… he does that with the expression, “There is no free lunch in life”.

And, immediately, that goes into my head… I know he is right.

“By the sweat of your brow, you will eat your food until you return to the ground.” Ever since, God sent Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden with these words, it has been clear that He doesn’t want any of His children to expect a free lunch in life…

He wants us to work for our lunch… and work hard and long… He wants us to earn from our toil, pay for our bread… and, then, feel, deep in our hearts, that satisfaction of being deserving.




“Life is a gift.”  There is a second part 

to this expression: “Be grateful.”




“Don’t abuse the gift, the privilege… Don’t waste the precious breath of life… Don’t use it to plot against your brother… Don’t undermine its value with self-pity, blame, envy or hatred.” … These reminders should keep us grounded… humble and faithful. 

On the other hand, the moment I see life as a ‘lease’ from God, I have no option but to act responsible towards it. Lease comes with an agreement… There is a compensation for its use, for the privilege. I know, there is a short period for which this privilege has been placed in my hands… and, it will be taken back whenever the term expires, or whenever I act irresponsible, default… abusive, unworthy.

Thus, the more I think about these two ways of looking at life, the more I feel convinced that it is sensible to see it as a lease rather than a gift. It is far honorable to feel ‘I deserve’ rather than ‘I am entitled for’. 

Perhaps, this new outlook towards life might provide me that proverbial ‘new lease of life’.


GERALD D’CUNHA
Pic.: Amrita Jeurkar

Comments

Karan Mehra said…
No doubt about it: it is sensible to see Life as a lease! Brilliant piece.
- Karan
Bharat Mehta said…
Life has to be respected, celebrated and honored. Bharat

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...