CELEBRATING OUR DIFFERENCES





















Another lesson we should teach our children, very early in life, is to celebrate our differences… All sorts of differences.


In fact, I am wrong here. This lesson we should learn from our little children!


For, children are pure… They are unbiased… Division and hatred doesn’t come to them naturally. It is when they see us talking about division – when they see our prejudiced reactions towards people around us, including the ones within our own families – yes, our children pick them up from us.


In my last Post, I had focused on our uniqueness… How God has made each one of us unique, special. I had emphasized how powerful that faith of ours in uniqueness could be. I had called it – ‘The Gospel of Faith’!


Today, I wish to focus on the other side of this faith: that, as much as I am unique, special, my fellow-being, too, is… That, I should not only believe in the beauty, strength and power of my own uniqueness, I should believe in his, too… I should rejoice in it… Celebrate our differences. 


All sorts of differences, I have already said…


Our caste and color…


Our status and education…


Our languages and eating habits…


Our hobbies, passions, concerns and praying habits…


Our outlooks, idols, pet-dislikes and superstitions…


The politics we play and the insecurities we harbor…




There is incredible beauty, joy and power in celebrating our innate differences… There is a great sense of freedom, as well.




Thus, whether it is from the student 

or from the teacher… 

but, the lesson has to be imparted:



Like me, others too are unique, special… And, rejoicing in it, celebrating our differences makes living really a unique experience as well…


Very special, in deed!




GERALD C’CUNHA


Pic.: Mehul Bhuva




Comments

Prashant Kumar said…
Beautiful! - Prashant
Kilan Patrao said…
Keep writing sir. U inspire us. Kilan

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...