POOR ME IS A POOR HERO



 

 

 

“Your sad story won’t sell,” I told the young-ones in my training session, today, “Poor Me is, in deed, a poor hero.”



Poor Me is a victim. A loser.


And, a victim doesn’t attract, nor inspires…


People already have enough sadness, enough pain, enough worries in them… Now, why would they add more of it by listening to yours?


Once, they will… Twice, they may… Thrice, they won’t.


“All the world loves a winner, and has no time to spare for a loser.” I had come across this line in Napoleon Hill’s inspirational classic – ‘Think & Grow Rich’ – when I myself was caught up in the web of self-pity and blame. I was an anxiety-stricken young-man, then, filled with self-pity and ‘Poor Me’ mindset. The book caught hold of my neck and shook me hard. “Enough of crying,” it yelled, “get up and do… dream… achieve!”


Our condition in life changes only when we get hold of ourselves… When we take responsibility for our progress, success, well-being… whatever it is. Justifying our failures with reasons, won’t help us in any way… Learning from our mistakes does. Resolving to change our ways, habits and attitude does… Persistent effort to improve our condition does.



“Surround yourself with cheerful people…

 Up-beat, positive people,” I told the young-ones 

during the session, today, “it rubs on you.”  



If I desire to succeed in my exams, let me not surround myself with those who waste way their time, who have no desire to succeed. Similarly, if I desire to be prosperous, let me surround myself with prosperous people… Same holds good for happiness, health, wealth and harmony.


My message to the young-ones was, therefore: “Only your success story attracts, inspires… Only a victor sells, not a loser.”


I was talking to them about building up our self-confidence. “Where does it start?” I asked them, “Is it not by getting up and doing something about it?”


“Who wants my sad story, any way… What purpose does it serve, if I narrate it, over and over again?”… Yes, I had added.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Mehul Bhuva




Comments

Nitin Kant said…
Excellent piece of inspiration!!!!! Nitin
Heena Naik said…
As always, very motivating. Keep it up. Heena
Anonymous said…
True, sad tales are sad. No one like them for long.
- Dinesh
Vijay Nayak said…
Poor me... Poor fellow is stuck!
... Vijay
Anonymous said…
When u are sad,frustated, fed up with world.U r close to reality, the source of happiness is not outside, its inside our core being, then u realize Ur true nautre, which is blissful, happy.Then Nothing can steal your smile.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...