THE FOX AND THE ROOSTER






















Everybody around us is not sly, not cunning. But, some are.


Many a times, I get carried away by others’ sweet talk. I also trust them easily. Doubting what others say, reading between their lines, decoding their intentions… all these don’t come to me naturally. So, there are times – not too many though – I get foxed!


That’s the time, I remind myself, “Hey champ, get smarter like the Rooster who saw a wild pack of dogs coming!”


One day, a Rooster, perched on the branch of a high tree, was crowing aloud. A hungry Fox heard this and decided to have this Rooster for his meal. Thus, the sly Fox came near the tree and said in a sweet voice, “Hi dear! Have you heard the good news? The new Treaty of Harmony has been just proclaimed by our King. Accordingly, we all are going to live here as fine friends, without causing any harm to each other. So, please come down dear; rest assured, we will be good friends… and, we can spend a good time together talking about our lives. Come.” The Fox extended his arms.


But, the Rooster was not a dumb fool to fall into the Fox’s sly arms! She kept gazing at the distance as if she was seeing something afar.


“What is that you are seeing, my dear?” the Fox enquired.


“A pack of wild dogs,” the Rooster replied, “I am sure, they all are coming our way.”


“I must go, quickly,” the Fox cried, scared to death!


“No, no. Please wait, Mr. Fox, I am coming down,” said the Rooster “when the dogs are here, we all can discuss the new Treaty of Harmony together and spend good time talking about our lives!”


“I am sorry, I have to go,” said the frightened Fox, “you see, the dogs haven’t heard about the Peace Treaty, yet.”


The Rooster saved herself from being roasted!


GERLAD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Mehul Bhuva






















Comments

Heena Naik said…
Lovely! Heena
Umesh Nayak said…
Old and enchanting really!!!!
--- Umesh
Nilesh D'Silva said…
Nice story sir, inspiring post as always. Nilesh
Kripa Shinde said…
Very relevant and useful. Kripa

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...